Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

melsukmmelsuk Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
My husband is being told to return to work after a years layoff (which is great in a way) on light desk duty. Although his pain has reduced since surgery its not all gone. His boss is offering to let him buy a better chair to help the pain but is leaving it up to us to pick which one. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience?

• online and just type "ergonomic chairs" at any of the search engines like google, and thousands of them will pop out. Personally I find that sitting on a yoga ball is the most comfortable for my spine, but I only do that for short periods of time. Good luck finding a good chair for the Hubby.
  • Please have your husband go into the closest office supply store to try on the chairs. They should have people trained to help him find the right fit. If that doesn't work you can call some PT and some are trained to set up work stations= if it is a workmans comp he may get them to come in and fit him for a chair and foot rest.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    Can be one of the more difficult activities for spinal patients.

Spine-Health libraries have a vast amount of information. Please look at Ergonomic

I have been working with computers about the same about of time I have had spinal problems (30+ years)
    In the 1980's I was involved with a task force in putting together the 'Best Workstation' for office workers. That included:
    -Keyboard and Mouse
    -Foot Stools

I worked with a Neurosurgeon and Furniture maker in coming up with a 'Office Chair' for Spinal patients.
    It was about the ugliest thing in the world, but it provided the lumbar, thoracic and cervical support, while allowing for adjustments for hand,arm,etc

Still with all the devices and aids that are available , the single most important thing to remember is To Get up, Move away from the desk every 45 minutes or so and then Stretch and Walk for about 10 minutes

I did that for years at the office and from 1999 until I retired last year, I worked from my home office. At home, I found that those large exercise balls were the best chairs. It forced me into the proper posture for all spinal conditions.
    Still, I needed to get up and move. Whenever I didnt, I would pay the price that day or the next

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.