Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My neck is a mess! Any advice?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
HI everyone,

I was just diagnosed by MRI with right paracentral disc herniation at c3-4. It effaces the thecal sac and touches the spinal cord. There is no evidence of cord compression. At c4-5 there is undovertebral osseous spurring resulting in neural foraminal stenosis. At c6-7 there is a left posterolateral disc/osteophyte complex resulting in mild foraminal stenosis.

The symptoms that led to the MRI are numbness, tingling, headaches (that don't go away), extreme neck pain and immobility, off and on swallowing problems, a lot of arm and leg jerking. It's weird...

Does anyone know just how serious this is? I have yet to speak to my doctor about it and just not sure what I'm dealing with here. I have back pain as well and I know I have bilateral sacroilitis (diagnosed in '05). I'm a wreck! Should I get an MRI of my lumbar spine too?

Thank you for any help!

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Find a real good neurosurgeon ASAP.
    Take care,
  • Hey Ranger,

So I take it this is serious, LOL. Good grief... Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your honesty!

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Tingling and numbness is a sign of nerve impingement, if not addressed it can become permanent, I'm a prime example. Not trying to scare you Ginster, but please seek professional advice and don't be afraid to get other
    opinions if resources allow it.
    Please keep us posted and if I can be of any sound help or advice please let me know.
    Hugs to ya,
  • Thank you Ranger,

I'm so sorry your situation got so bad. I will calling my primary doc tomorrow to make an appointment. The great thing is that there are spinal surgeons in the same clinic.

I'll definitely keep you posted on what happens next.

Hugs back at ya!!
  • Your's sounds a little like mine is now. I think I now have something in the c4-c5 area as well. I have started having the worst headaches ever several weeks ago. My PCP ordered a brain MRI but it was negative.

Please make sure that the surgeon is actual "Board Certified Fellowship trained". Do not use a General Surgeon.

When you meet with the NS or OS make sure you tell them about the lumbar stuff. They may want to check it out. At least talk with them about it so it is noted on your chart.

Feel Better :)

• In addition to all of the previous suggestions, make sure that you include soft tissue damage in your areas of examination.
    Spinal problems like you have may be the cause of soft tissue trauma, or the result of it.
    Either way, you are bound to have some problems with your soft tissues, such as muscles, ligaments etc.
    These can cause severe pain when under stress or strain, yet so often we look for more bone or nerve related problems.
    Getting well involves treating a variety of things, rarely just the one, so I'd suggest taking a broader view .
    Include diet, exercise, posture, repetitive activities, pillow, mattress, driving, stress and so on.
    The good old tension headache ruined my life for many years, yet treatment is very simple.
  • Hi Julie and Peter,

Thank you for your input on all this.

One of the symptoms I'm having are myoclonic jerking. My arms, legs, torso, and head will suddenly jerk. Could this be caused by my neck issues, or could it be from my back, or spinal cord? Just trying to piece together all these symptoms.
  • Get to your Dr's office. At least call and inform them of your symptoms, don't sugarcoat anything. Waiting too long is not good. Sounds like all those symptoms could be from your neck but you need professional care. Keep us posted, wishing you well.
  • I agree, the neck is a troublesome thing, with so many nerves to a variety of areas passing through it.
    Bear in mind also that you may not get diagnosed-medical science still knows very little, especially in this area.
    They may find damaged areas that are causing no problems.
    They may not find any damage but yet you have the problems.
    Finding problems doesn't necessarily lead to successful treatment, either.
    If you are lucky they will find something that they can treat.
    But you may be like a lot of us with a variety of things not working well, and for which there are no cures, just pain management.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    It is side effects of one (or more) of your meds?

What are you RX'd??

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!