Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

• my surgeons office had me schedule my pre-op 1-2 weeks out from surgery. My pre-op was very in depth: paperwork, blood, urine, EKG, bleed test, chest x-ray. I think they would at least need a few days for labs. Try to keep calling the office until you speak to someone.
  • I scheduled my 1/6 surgery about mid-December.

It was all on the phone, no apt. necessary. Apparently the NS had a note in the file that said go ahead and just schedule me when I was ready.

I did not hear from anyone until Dec. 31. I was told to expect the hospital to call about 5 days before surgery. They called early, I'm sure it was due to the holiday.

I was asked a bunch of questions regarding insurance and given a webpage to go online and fill out a health history form (what medications I'm on, what health issues have I had/do I have, do I have a living will, etc.)

They then transfered me to the scheduling people and I got a pre-op apt. for Monday 1/4 - 2 days before surgery. They usually do them 1 day before but there were only 2 apts. left by the time they figured out that I was not a same day/outpatient but an overnighter. You don't need a pre-op apt. if you are a same day surgery.

I went in, got an EKG, blood taken and had a pee test looking for possible infection. They don't want to be opening up bone if you have an infection going on anywhere in your body. It took about 1 1/2 hours. They also answered my questions and gave me instructions for tonight and tomorrow morning...

I'm to not take any medications tomorrow. I am to not eat or drink anything after 10:00 pm tonight. I can brush my teeth, but be sure to not swallow anything accidentally. They also gave me a medicated scrubby to wash my back with in the morning. I show up at 7:30 am for surgery.

Since I'm female I'll also have a pregnancy test done tomorrow.

The hospital called after 4:00 pm today to give me my time for tomorrow's surgery.
  • Where I live, the hospitals insist that you have the pre-op exam no more than ten days prior to the surgery.

However, if you cannot communicate with your surgeon's office, I would not consider that a good sign of things to come. How will they respond when you have a question post-surgery and need a response right away?
  • I scheduled my surgery on a Friday for surgery on the next Wednesday. I did my pre-op on the Monday before. Glad I did it that way quick and less time to worry.
  • Does your doctor have a scheduler in his office? Mine made all the appointments including with my GP. I had to go to the hospital 10 days before surgery for pre-admission. Then I went today to my GP for clearance. She had the blood work from the hospital to look at.

You should have your appointments already booked. Keep calling the doctor. But as Gwennie said if you can't get through to the office what is going to happen after your surgery?
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    This is the first time I'm using this surgeon and his office does it all. They called me and said
    * "we scheduled your pre-op physicial for you with your primary care doctor on this date at this time".
    *you will come see the doctor's physician assistant on this date at this time for pre-op questions and paperowrk.
    *the hospital will call you for any of their pre-op paperwork and requirements.

My surgery is scheduled for 2/3. I just had the pre-op physical last week. I meet with the doctor's PA about 2 weeks before surgery.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos