Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Best Wishes to Cath111. Surgery Today

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I hope that everything goes well with your surgery today and that you have a speedy recovery. I know that if a positive attitude will help you have a successful recovery you won't have any problems at all. You have been, and still are, an inspiration to me. Good luck my friend.

• Thank goodness it's Wednesday... :)

Your surgery will be over and done with, in just a few hours!

I know you'll have a smile on your face, as soon as you see your anesthesiologist.

You'll be in my prayers this afternoon and I look so forward to hearing from you, just as soon as you can check in.

Best wishes to you, Cath.

Hugs and love,

• I'm here at the hospital waiting for the call to go in and thinking of all the other 1/6'rs.

Go team!

See ya on the other side.

• Good luck to all of you that are having surgery today. May your doctors be particularly inspired as they work on you today!

Blessings ~

• Good Luck with your surgery. I am sending some good ole southern "meaux jeaux" so that this surgery will be the majic bullet you need for the best, most adequate pain relief possible for you!

Course, you know the drill - take it easy (no matter how GOOD you are going to feel) and listen to your doctor's recommendations with regard to twisting, lifting, bending.

Hopefully, there will be no restrictions on typing so you can post as soon as you can!

Love Ya!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Good luck to you and everyone else also on your surgeries today.

• "meaux jeaux" ... You ROCK Jeaux!

Thinking good thoughts for you Cathie! To add to the "meaux jeaux"!

• Debbie, thank you so much my friend. You've been walking with me through this whole process and you don't know how much I appreciate your friendship.

"Meaux Jeaux?" LOLOLOL Jeaux, I can always count on you for a good laugh. I think after surgery I'm going to have to ignore your posts for a while so I don't dislodge my hardware.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm hoping to be "with it" enough to post tomorrow, but who knows.

You all have a great rest of the week and when you eat today, please take a bite for me. I'm hungry and there's still five hours until my surgery.

Amy, good luck on your surgery. I hope all goes well and that it's relatively easy like some here have said who've had their hardware removed.

Gwennie, I really like that line: "May your doctors be particularly inspired as they work on you today!" That's a cool thought.

Tammy, you made me smile with the anesthesiologist comment. My husband asked me how I was this morning and I told him I'm just anxious to see the winged anesthesiologist head my way. :-)

Oh, another cool thing that happened is my anesthesiologist called me last night at 7:15pm to say hi and ask how I was doing. I didn't answer the phone (I didn't recognize the number) but she left a beautiful message about how she's going to take wonderful care of me and how we'll have plenty of time to talk before my surgery. She said she's anxious to meet my cheerleading section.

Adios, Amigos. See you on the other side!

• good luck and prayers will be with everyone in surgery today----we can do it together!Jeannie

• Still praying for you.

Look forward to hearing that it went well and you are on the way to a better and back pain free life.

I like the sound of your anesthesiologist. I'm sure she'll take wonderful care of you.
  • Thinking of you today. Hoping that all is well and we will hear from you soon! Prayers are with you. Love, Robin
  • cath
    i wish you well today and speedy recovery..will keep you in my thoughts and prayers
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Wishing you the best on your surgery Cath and to all others that are having surgery today or in the upcoming days.
  • Still thinking of you and hope that all went well and that they are controling your pain. Perhaps you will be up for a walk today.
    Look forward to hearing from you once you are up to it.

You are on the way to recovery!
  • Here's my army of O:) O:) O:) O:) O:) to watch over you as you heal from your surgery.

Saying prayers for your healing and hoping you get plenty of TLC from family and friends.

What a caring anesthesiologist -- I sure you slept better knowing you would have good care before your surgery.

Let us know how you're doing -- everyone's pulling for you to have a very successful surgery.

Being a New Orleans girl myself, I'm sure Jeaux's "meaux jeaux" will work wonders for you!

Take care,

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I really hope you're doing well. I know you'll let us know as soon as you're able but I just wanted you to know that you're in my thoughts. I hope you're not in a lot of pain my friend.

• Well, it's over and I'm in my hospital room recovering. My surgery was about 3 hours and endedabout 24 hours ago and according to the surgeon, it went well even with some surprises thrown in.

He said that the stenosis was more severe than he'd thought from the MRIs, so he had to take out some extra bone to make room. He also said that my spine was more unstable than he'd seen on the MRI - the facet joints were bone on bone and moving a lot, so he was glad we got it done.

Does it hurt? Oh boy and how. It's too early to tell if my original pain is gone because the pain in my lower back, on and around the incision, s so painful. I'm on a morphine drip that just barely keeps it in control but it started getting better after I got up a few times (OUCHY)

Thanks for the thoughts and wishes I'lll post more in the morning. I'm going to eat some yucky hospital food, veg out on the TV ten get some much needed sleep.

Talk soon.
  • I hope you're doing well after your surgery and hope you heal completely from this. Sending you a prayer for healing. Take care. CHarry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Cath I am glad your surgery went well- I find it amazing when the surgeons actually find more going on. Thank God he took care of it, hopefully you will get stonger fast.

Keep pressing that button. Are they giving your oral meds as well?

My only advice is to sleep as much as you can and take as much pain reliever as you are allowed as scheduled.

Get well soon :)

• Cath, it's good to find your note and know you are doing well. Been thinking about you today and checking to see if you were up to posting. You may not think so, but you sound good. As Julie said, keep pressing that button. The last major surgery I had the pain nurse threatened to take my pain medication away because I wasn't using enough of it, lol.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I WISH I got a pain pump.

I have to call the nurses station every time I have to go to the bathroom (they have to unhook me from the leg squeezy things. And I have to call them everytime I need medication. It makes me feel like a nuisance.

Wed night was wonderful for me - very little pain. Then I tried to move to pill instead of IV - mistake! I was sick AND got no pain relief. By morning - oh boy! That's when the pain hit -yeow! It's been just like it was after the fusion. I'm not able to logroll and moving up in the bed to eat (with nurses pulling on the draw sheet) spiked me to a 9 pain level.

Cath - do you have an idea how long you will be staying in the hospital? I think I get out Friday.
  • Inchworm, I can't imagine having your pain meds taken away - I remember reading your post about it. Totally absurd.

So this is the deal: After my surgery last night, I kept waking up with massive pain because I slept through the pain med and woke up with none in my system. So, they put the morphine drip on 24/7 drip, enough to keep me from screaming in pain when I'd wake up and then I could press the pump button to get more meds. This is the only pain med I'm taking - no oral ones.

The decision on when I get to go home solely lies on when the can get me off of the pain pump. They track all the pump activity and know how often you press the button, if it's pressed before time allows disbursement, etc. This evening I've pushed the pain button 8 times with 8 disbursements, which means I'm not needing pain relief in between. That's good. If they can get me proper relief with oral meds tomorrow, then I'll go home tomorrow. If not, then I'll stay at least another day.

Whew, that pooped me out. I'm going back to sleep. Nighty nite.

• Sounds like you are doing well, despite the pain.

I hope that you are sleeping well and in the morning, once you get moving, that you will feel much better and will be able to go home soon.

Take care, and speedy healing.
  • Cath,

I wish you well and speedy recovery. May this be the last surgery you have to have.

• Glad you made it through your surgery. I can't believe that you are on the computer! Take care and rest and heal.

Saltz - Hope you are doing well too.
  • So sorry you are have a tough time with your pain. Don't feel bad about calling the nurses. You need to be able to relax at least a little to help with healing and it's their job.

Hopefully your recovery will be easier than your fusion surgery and you can start to lead a pain free life.
  • I'm so glad to see you here! Wow...you are doing well considering your surgery was more than expected!I hope your pain levels decrease so you can get home to your own comfortable bed! No place like home and I know you will have better food and help with your MIL there to help you through the worst of it! Take care and get some rest!

Saltz...hope your pain is less severe today and that you are settled in at home, resting comfortably! Take care and get some rest too!

I hope everyone else is having as good of a day as can be expected with this darn cold weather which affects us! Have a good day!

• Good to hear from you again, Cathie. You're doing amazingly well, it seems, from what I've heard of some people's experiences.

Yeah, I was fortunate that my surgeon was standing there when the pain management nurse threatened to take my pump away and put me on oral meds. He looked at her incredulously and said, it's only been one day! She let me keep the pump. :) I'm glad to hear they have you on a continuous drip as well.

Keep up the good progress!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I'm a Nurse myself and usually it is protocol to check on patients every hour on the hour or sometimes more often depending on the situation. But if you happen to be asleep when the Nurse does the rounds that's what the call bell is for. I've been a Nurse over 20 years and it was always my duty and even pleasure to help people feel as comfortable as possible while in the hospital. I always try to treat people the way I would like to be treated if it were me or a family member in that bed. Just my thoughts.. I hope you're feeling better Cath and Saltz. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN