Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How can it be back?

sacramentassacramenta Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a herniated disk in my l5-s1 area. 9 months ago I was diagnosed because of bad sciatica. I did the physical therapy and changed my lifestyle. By August I was pain free (for the most part give or take a few aches and pains). Yesterday I woke up and my back is killing me! Today is worse. It is not in the leg which is different from the last time but the back pain is terrible. I thought if the pain goes away for so long it is healed? I know it is the same disc because you don't forget that pain and it is in the same area as before. Why would this hurt again????

• Sneeze? Rolling over in bed? There is not ryme or reason for back pain.

Once a disc has herniated/bulged there is greater risk that it could happen again.

I am sorry your hurting. I suggest that you go see you doctor. Untill then try to stay off your feet, rest & ice/heat. I am sure you know the drill.

Hugs :)

• herniated discs are just pesky ;-)

I dealt with mine for 17 years and this past August, I got a massage and my sciatic nerve down my leg was aweful. I stopped working out for 5 days but awoke with a stretch one morning and felt a horrible POP and couldn't get out of bed.

It doesn't sound like you are THAT bad but that you have to be careful. I would suggest going to the doctor. Before this occurrence, I would occassionally hurt badly enough that I'd need a prescription NSAID (anti-inflammatory) to help get the inflammation down. And PT exercises really helped.

That being said...my august incident was different. I actually had a piece of disc mass break free and sit on the nerve and lost feeling down my leg. I needed microdiscectomy but in your situation, seems like conservative options are still viable...such as PT, prescription anti-inflammatory, and/or even epidural (which is a little less conservative but not surgery).

definitely make an appt with your doctor.
    stay laying flat and ice and use anti-inflammatory (assuming you aren't allergic)
  • why my 3 discs had tears in them. Was deadheading plants, sitting on a garden stool and the pain that evening got worse and worse overnight. Never did figure out what I did.
    I suggest you see your Dr asap, and probably will need MRI and stuff. Im no Dr, Just experience. Good Luck.
  • Hello,
    Your initial treatment in only the first stage in assisting it to get better, if evaluation reveals and underlying condition then this initial strategy would be ineffective in the long term and only mask the current symptoms. That change of leg pain may be an indication that your pain originates from a central point, I remember telling my doctor which leg had that sciatica pain only for it to change over time from one leg to the other down both legs to my knee and eventually done my left leg and toes.

Doing all that is asked will not repair your condition or improve retrospectively, this is the nature and develop of chronic pain, just as we may have thought it had gone and we were doing well it come back worse than ever in some cases.

Keep a record of what you can do and when and your evaluation of the pain level and what it stops you from doing. Pace well and finding anything that does not make it worse if possible and stop doing anything that may make that pain increase, take you medication by the clock and go back and explain with your evidence that this pain has returned.

As said try all the less invasive procedures first and see how you go with that and this will only mask the pain for an underlying condition and worth trying before you need to move to the next level of potential possibilities. The condition of pain is never static and we have to adapt to ever changing symptoms even when as me I have had my chronic pain for many years.

Take care and good luck.

This discussion has been closed.