Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op update: 2 level ACDF, C3/4 & C5/6

Cindy22CCindy22 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Surgery was Dec 22, 2009. Two weeks and one day...or fifteen days...

I do not feel any pain relief...I feel like I am burning up. No temperature. Face is beet red. My left arm has a new pain today...I feels like someone punched the back of my tri-cep and side of bi-cep. I have pains that radiate down both arms. It hurts to swollow or move my jaw...Rice pudding is not easy to swollow. My eyes, forehead, cheeks jaw and back of head feel like it is going to pop off. My legs feel like they are going to go out from under me. I feel completely weak. Typing is a chore. And to make it all worse my children listened to me cry uncontrollablly this morning before they went to school. My mother and husband got the kids ready for school while I tried to drown the pain with a shower. The pain throbs with every beat. Called doc @ 6:30 am...no return call yet.

• Dang....I wish there was a better way to touch base than this!!!!! or FB.

What did the dr say? Is it maybe a reaction to the medicine your on? What the heck????? My friend is in pain and I want to know why.

Now...to be honest....the first 4 weeks were hellish for me. I cried all the time, the pain unmanageable. I took 2 entire days to just sleep. It helped a lot. Took a load off of me. Some people can do all the walking...like a mile or so by the 2nd week. Shoot...I'm fortunate to walk to the corner grocery store and not hurt. But that's ok too. We all heal differently and as my lovely dr says...its early days yet. We have a way to go in recovery. Take it as easy as you can.

With the kids....its ok for them to hear Mommy cry. Makes you regular and normal and develops empathy in them. too many kids lack that. Bring them onto you recliner with you and ask them to pray or whatever you do with you. It makes them feel a part of your recovery and healing. Kids are precious that way...doesn't matter how old they are. Family sticks together....recovery is a family affair.

I'm concerned for you my friend. Please let me know how you're doing. I won't rest easy tonight until I know. That is of course, unless the Ambien knocks me out!!!! LOL.......

My heart is sad at your pain. I remember it. I remember Thanksgiving day...probably 16 days or so out of surgery....I cried like the whole day. With family here and everything. finally at around 9, when everyone was gone...I had to ask my hubby to pray because I couldn't take the pain anymore.

• Thank you, you are very sweet and kind. I will PM you my e-mail address and phone number. My gut tells me we might end up heavy phones charges from time to time.
    Your are right about the mommy thing...they sit with me alot, always ask how I am doing and the hugsare awsome....part of my day problem is I miss them so, plus I am emotional too.
    She called andpreached about the medicine. She tried giving me darvocets...ha...we went back and forth...she is so mean and sarcastic. She had to tal to doc and she made to tell me he probabally won't do vic. They are not compassionate. Did you doc call after your surgerie? Mine di not. When I had my other ops...my doctor called me...the doc not the nurse or receptionist.
  • Honestly....I ican't remember if anyone from the dr's office called. I know he didn't becuase he was in San Francisco at a conference. Amazingly he remembers all my details when I walk in to see him. Must be memorable...the bubblewrap needing lady. ha ha.

The hospital did call about a day later then I had a visiting nurse service who came every few days or whenever I needed them.

And hey...no excuses needed. I've read enough posts to know that post surgical spineys are emotional. Not sure why. I forgot to ask my doc. I wrote all my questions and forgot that one. He answered them all...love that guy. If this wasn't so painful...I'd keep him around. ha ha!

I'm glad your day improved. I've had days where I cry and cry and then wonder what's the point since no one's around to give comfort, which then turns into a pity party. And I sure hate those!!!!! ha ha. That's why fb and s/h are so good for me. Contact with the outside world. Even though I hurt myself again this past weekend...it ws good to go to the Catskills. Might be going again for Martin Luther King school break. The kids here get that Monday off, so I'll have a long weekend and the hubby, son and neice will go snow tubing. Me....hopefully I'll be reading on my Kindle. I'm saving for it! ha ha..
  • I hope your Surgeon gave you some meds to help you and you're feeling a little better. Sending out a prayer for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you for for the prayers and kind words. The last couple days have been the worste. I got a good nights rest...slept in bed. Today is a better day. My mother took today off which will be nice. They did and I will see them tomorrow @ 1:00.

Thank you Charry, and I hope all is well for you.
  • I got a good nights rest in bed last night. "Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not here all I have is today". I will leave yesterday behind and start my days counting....TODAY IS DAY FIFTHTEEN POST AND COUNTING!!!

That is a nice plan for the family since school is out...we have the same plans. He are to go north and watch the kids ski at Peak n Peak. I just hope I feel better. I know day by day. My family loves long weekends...my husband is great like that. I am not a flower/gift person...which he loves that...I am a card/getaway/pedi-cure kind. Valentine's hopefully we will be north and then I have to wait till July for our first two week vacation in New Smyrna,FL. There may be some small getaways prior that will be surprises and that's what I enjoy. I need to go I will be back to finish couple hours. My mom just popped her head in...she is taking me for breakfast. See suprise...Luv ya...have a nice day...
  • Hi Cindy,

I'm 3 weeks post ACDF C4/5, C5/6, with titanium plate. Although the radiculopathy seemed to be gone 3 days post, it started to return at about 10 days and has become a real ordeal. My doc's instructions say that this is normal for the first 6 weeks as the body is swollen. My hands feel on fire and pain during the nighttime, especially when I have been lying flat. Sometimes when I put ice on my back it helps a bit. And I would be lost without the Oxycontin 5 mg that I was prescribed, which does help and restores my sanity.

I had no idea that the recuperation period would be like this. I have to remind myself that this is temporary or I would get in much worse mental shape. I find doing some very non-emotional tasks, like starting to prep for tax filing, helpful!!! I've got to concentrate and I'm doing something useful.

Much love,
  • Thanx for the info. I hope things keep moving smoothly for you!!
    I can not believe you got oxy....my doc said 30 vics and that's it...when I went in for problem they gave script for darvocets and yesterday they gave me tylenol 3...I am glad for yoy!!!! I am glad you don't feel what I feel.

That is true temporary...day by day...I just have to stay strong...strong mind strong body...if I keep stressing it will slow down my healing process....

Thank you, very sweet!
    God Bless,
  • My doc just gave me a 3rd script. well 4th actually. Ok..wait lets count. At the hospital they gave me vicoden 3.5's. Those were a joke. That's like for getting your tooth pulled! Then he gave me Vico 7.5, a week later valium for muscle spasms (which have since stopped). Yesterday he gave me Ambien for sleep and Vicoden 5/500.

As long as your not "addicted", you should call some of the shots medication wise. You're doc cannot know your level of pain.

Being positive does help incredibly though. Oh days that I'm positive...I feel great. when I'm weepy...I feel crappy - not in pain just in general.

You're procedure is super-fresh and you're in the very early stages of recovery. These next few weeks might be harder than before surgery but you can get through it because when its over you'll feell great! I still have some tingling and occassional spasms. Doesn't help that I've been clumsy or hurt, but all in all...it does get better. Patience is the hardest part I think. Specially for ladies that are doers or mommies of little people.

My bedroom, which I haven't slept in in 8 weeks is a walking disaster. I'm sure I've married the messiest man in america! All the clothes that have been washed since November have still not been put away. Our drawers are under our bed...platform waterbed. I can't get to it without pain. ha...I have a trick for him when he gets home tonight!!!! ha ha...not that kind of trick either!!!!! I'm clean. LOL.