Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Spasms 75 Days Post Op

Slkep2004SSlkep2004 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone. I am two and a half months post op after having L5 lami and scartissue removal, etc. Have been doing really well. Walking a mile each day, casual walking. Have lost 20 pounds and have not got the horrid pain in hip and down leg anymore. My problem is this: About a week or so ago, I noticed that when I get up from bed I am having muscle spasms. I have to stop motion and be stockstill and wait for it to unclench, then go on my way. I also have a double fusion in lumbar area from 8 years ago. The spasms are not horrible but they are about a 5-6 on the scale. I am just wondering if they are a symptom of something else. I also kind of wonder if they are spazzing because the spine is weak where the bone was removed. After waiting a week to see if it would quit, I went ahead and called to request some muscle relaxers and the assistant said doctor would definitely want to see me for this. Is it something bad? What do muscle spasms mean this far out from surgery? Thanks in advance if anyone has any experience with this. I'm going to visit the good doctor day after tomorrow at his request. This isn't the worst thing in the world but it does have me concerned. Happy New Year everyone.

• hi shannon-I havent experienced that-just want you to know to keep us posted,and someone on here will be able to give input!
  • I figured if anyone had the same experience it would be here. Just not sure what would cause spasms even though I'm feeling pretty well. I'll check in today a time or two to see if anyone has any input. Tomorrow I'll be getting a professional opinion and let you know what the outcome is. It has been so nice not having any emergency visits and I'm bummed that now I have to go for an unscheduled one. Hopefully, he'll be able to pinpoint the problem and shoot me out the door. One minor setback isn't going to hold me down!
  • I get muscle spasms in my legs, feet and lower back, generally while I am in bed and starting to wake and move them in the morning.

I have also had them during the day, but generally when I have been sitting for a while. When I stand and straighten up, sometimes I get them in my lower back. My doctor has told me they are due to my nerves waking up.

I haven't had surgery, but do have compression on my cord and nerves.

I do find that it happens less when I take a good walk.

Do let us know what your doctor says. I hope that it is nothing serious and you can continue to recover well.
  • Yes, that's exactly when I'm getting them too! When I wake up at night and get up or when I get up in the morning, those are the worst ones. Also noticed that it happened the other day when I had sat for a long time watching a movie. I went to get up and it clenched and spazzed and after about 30 seconds it let go.

I do know I had some compression from scar tissue and a fat pocket which were both removed. I also know for sure that the nerves have been having some bursts of pain after surgery which he said was normal in my case. So maybe these spasms are related and just a passing thing. I always feel great after my walk but maybe I need more stretching or something. That's what they always say, stretch stretch stretch. Maybe I need to do two walks, one early and one before bedtime. I will talk to him about it. Thank you very much for your input. I'll let ya'll know what happens manana!

• Hope that you get some reassurance today.

Well done for losing 20 pounds, I have lost about the same. It will be good for both our backs.

Your so right about the spasm lasting about 30 seconds and then relaxing. I have learnt that if I just stand or sit still, after a few seconds, it will pass. I find that when I get a really bad shooting pain down my leg from the sciatica, that usually passes after a few seconds too. Luckily the sciatic pain that lasts, is not so high on the pain scale.

After my walk, while my muscles are still warm, I do some leg stretching exercises. I think that they help reduce the amount of muscle spasms too.

Take care, and keep healing.
  • Hi there again everyone. Went to see the dr yesterday about the muscle spasms and he was helpful. He said that there's been so much injury and so much repair to my back that he's not surprised at all that my muscles are spasming. He said they are just stressed from being cut, from the changed dynamics of my anatomy and them having to resettle into the new positions and so on. Poor back! haha He ended up giving me some injections of lydocain to help numb the area and to see if we got any good results, and we did. He said it was good that the numbing med worked because it shows it is not something deeper. Felt good to have it numb, wish I could get those injections a lot. He also prescribed zanaflex for nighttime. Said it should help. Will try it out tonight since I was not able to get it filled last night. and yes, any weight off of our backs has got to be good for them. I'm going to try to lose a few more pounds because I had been still for so long that I put on a few extra. Also, it feels so good to be out there walking and breathing in clean air. I told the doctor that even though I have a little pain, I feel like I'm back in the game of life again!
    Thank you for your thoughts on this. It is always nice to have others ideas. That is why this site is so successful. We can come here and talk about this stuff and get other's experiences. It really makes me feel better sometimes and I am thankful for all of you Spineys!
    Have a good day everyone.

• I've not been able to go out for a walk for the last couple of days, due to snow and ice. I have definately been getting more and worse cramps, spasms and muscle twitching.

Each day I seem to learn something else about my back.

Hope you sleep well tonight; pain and muscle spasm free.
    Take care.
  • I'm glad you got some resolution to your problem with muscle spasms. I have to wonder if, even long-term, after surgery we'll always get muscle spasms. It just seems to be so common.

When I read your first post I was really hoping that your doc was just wanting to see you to confirm his suspicions instead of finding new problems. So I'm glad that's the way it ended up.

Take care and keep up that walking and stretching!

• Hello ya'll. Just wanted to say thank you for the notes concerning the spasms. It's always helpful to get other's perspectives on things. Sometimes you can only see it from one angle and need more input.

You know Cath, I suspect that muscle spasms and aches and such are just going to be a part of life at one time or another for all of us. I know I can tweak my back and be sore for the day afterwards. Or out of the blue muscle spasms appear. I guess it's about just dealing with it all now as it comes. At least I'm not dying of pain down my legs or in my hip. So there's always a bright side, I suppose.

The muscle relaxer actually helped last night. Sure did sleep good with that ontop of the neurontin. Watched the cowboys win then off to sleep. Still had a spasm this morning and didn't feel real good getting up but that's always my worst part of the day. My back just hurts in the mornings and it's something I have to get through. Feel darn good right now though!

I hope everyone can find some peace and comfort today. Thanks again for your support.
  • Why don't you try walking more frequently and cover less distance at a time. Also be sure your stride is not too long and don't try to walk fast...and be sure to walk on a level surface...no incline at this point.

The point of the frequent walking is to keep the spinal nerve stretched out so that scar tissue has less chance to become attached. Since you had scar tissue removed, you will be a candidate for having it grow back even more...so it is very important that you walk often, especially at the beginning...like for the first six weeks or two months. That is the period when scar tissue growth is most dynamic.

• Hi Gwennie. You know, I'm thinking you may have a good point here. If I walk twice, maybe once in the early evening, it will help me keep that area all stretched out. My pace is still moderate but I do know I am doing one thing wrong. I'm walking out in a field and sometimes it is not very straight. Might have to reroute for a while and stay on the sidewalks. I just love walking in the field though because I come across rabbits and stuff. Hadn't thought of the rough terrain being hard on me.

I have been thinking about that bothersome scartissue reoccurring and have really tried to be more active this time around. I try to stretch my torso and upper body as well on my walks. One thing I have noticed about my incision is that since this second surgery, it's more flattened and not as hard and bulky as it used to be. She must have made it nice and smooth in there. Hope I don't grow an overabundance of scartissue this time around.

Hope this note finds you smiling. Thanks again.