Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Pain ie: Burning, stabbing, shooting pain in neck and back

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
In June of 06 I was in a car accident. I had surgery ,But it didn't fuse. So June of 07 I had another surgery. ACDF C4 to C7 with 16 screws and two plates. I had to wear a hard collar for four Months. Twenty four hours a day, Even when I took a shower.
So I would like to know if any one has the same problem. Here I go, I have sharp shooting stabbing pain in my neck and back, and it goes into my arms and fingers.I also have numbness,tingles and my finger go numb and cold.And than my back is another problem, once my neck starts hurting it goes into my back. It's debilitating it burns,sharp shooting stabbing Pains. I can't take it any more it's been three years. Not one day that goes by I am not in chronic pain. I even go to pain management.Even my forearm goes numb and my legs. There is so much wrong with me I am not going to go on any more. So if someone has the same problem PLEASE HELP ME!!!I can't go on like this.
Thank you all any info would help me.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
    In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , tamtam , Neck of Steel , Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

The not fusing and requiring additional surgery and screws/plates is not all that uncommon. But what I think is difficult to understand is why you are still having these problems since your surgery back in June 2007?

Have you been to the doctors recently about this?
    Have you had any diagnostic tests done?

Some of the symptoms you describe sure sound like problems associated with cervical discs. And I can tell you that once you start having some pain in the neck area, that can start to create problems elsewhere. Our bodies are like steroes. When one piece is ok, the other piece is probably ok. But when we have a hurting area, chances are that we are going to start to hurt somewhere else. Manytimes is just that we tend to favor a problem area and that places strain somewhere else.

I would be very curious to see what your current doctors are telling you and what treatments are you currently under care for.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for your fast reply and info and questions. I go to pain mngmnt, and I'm on a lot of meds. Like Lyrica that has indeed helped with my nerve pain. The Doctors all agree this particular surgery was an unsuccessful one.

I'm curious re: c7 and t1.
    There is electrodiagnostic evidence suggestive of left c7 - t1 radiculopathy. What does this mean? Nobody has ever explained this to me. I'm taking this directly off my dx history.

If you can explain that would be great.

Thanks a lot,

• What all has been tried since the 07 surgery?

The arm and shoulder symptoms are ones I'm pretty familiar with and when nothing else much worked I did a Spinal cord stimulator trial and it did help to block some of the pain. I now have a permanent SCS implant. Has anything like that been suggested?

Did you fuse after the 07 surgery?

How many docs have you seen? second opinions? third?

It is really hard to press on some days, yet that seems to be what we must do.
  • Wrambler,
    I was wearing a Tens Unit that helped a little. My Doctor said that I fussed. But Three Doctors said It was a unsuccessful. One Doc Tails me one thing and than another tails me something else. But the BURNING is KILLING me. I cry every Day the pain is unbearable. I feel like I am a burden to everyone. God bless my Children and Husband for all their help, I couldn't live with out them, I am very lucky. Some times it's hard to press on. But I have no chioce.
    Thank you,

• I ca feel your pain, because I have had two neck surgies, with fusions. Then I was in a car accident hit in front had terrible whiplas in upper and lower nack and back. I can fully understand thes tinging, burning effects. It really feeling like all the flesh and nerves and mucle tissue is so inflammed I don;t really know what to do for it, But please don't give up. I know that if the Lord haddened helped me I doh't know where I'll be right now, don't give up he can help you just believe, will be thinking of you

• I know how horribly maddening the burning/tingling pain can be. It's the one thing I really can't tolerate much of!

I'm sorry to hear that the Lyrica didn't do much for yours, that's what has helped me the most. My meds right now are Lyrica 75mg 3x/day, Tramadol 50 2x/day, Cymbalta 60 mg, and vicodin 5/500 for BT pain. The vicodin doesn't help much for the burning pain, though, so when it gets bad I usually end up in bed on a heating pad!

• Not that I wanted to compete or anything. My mash up happened in 1997,my cervical spine c3-c7 were also affected. I had a double lamaectomy.Let me describe my pain and you tell me if we are not identical. Neck, shoulders always stiff, and pain full, Itch, burning, pines and needles, In a flair up situation, my right fore arm feels like its going to explode. The stiffness, sorness radiates to my fingers, they are stiff and pain full, yet still usable. I drop things, no feeling also..
    My back gets sore kind of in the middle, its probable from supporting head.
    legs;itchy,burning pines & needles, ants crowllng,stiffness..very uncomfortable yet still useable. My pain never goes below 6
    I still love life…
    PM me any time..
    Try to smile even if it hurts
    JJ from Montréal
  • I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. Like you I had a failed fusion, but mine was in the lumbar spine. I had really, really bad burning and tingling sensations in my legs, but then my pain management Doctor recommended a spinal cord stimulator and this device has completely eliminated all of that.
    I still suffer from the mechanical pain and take medications for that, but the nerve pain is gone.

Can you talk to your PM Doc and ask him if you are a good candidate for a spinal cord stimulator? You will have to go through a trial that lasts about 4 days, and if the device doesn't help you, then you don't have to go through the permanent implant, but if it works, your burning sensation will be gone, and wouldn't that be wonderful??!!!

I think that you seriously need to explore the possibility of getting an SCS trial. You have nothing to loose...... It was my salvation, it could be your too!

Take care and I hope that things get better for you soon!

• I am so forgetful, so I don't know if I wrote you back.
    I have the same symptoms, My legs get achy and sharp pain down them. With all the meds I'm on I get confused and forgetful. My neck and back is always stiff,achy real sore. Mine flair up when I am doing little things dishes folding towels takes me forever because I have to stop for a break. I want my old life back, I miss being happy. I always drop things. And I get really bad muscles spasm through out my whole body. My neck and back feels like I am on FIRE,shooting sharp pain like someone has a ice pick dragging it back and fourth across my neck and back. When I go to the Doctors I always forget to tell them things. I need to write it down I think, but I would feel stupid because I can't remember things. Good luck and take care of yourself.
  • Hi,
    The Lyrica has helped me. I take 150mg three times a day. That has helped me a lot,THANK GOD.
This discussion has been closed.