Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

discogram questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm wondering if anyone has had a discogram. Can someone give me some info on this. I'm having a lot of leg pain, but not that much back pain. The doctors have done an MRI and nerve block. The MRI looks like only scar tissue, not the disc. They something about the discogram reproducing back pain. I guess I'm wondering if it will also reproduce leg pain. Any comments?

Thank you,

• Yes, I had a Discogram before my spinal fusion, and I can tell you that the test is no picnic! But, is not that bad either....
    When they inject the dye into your disc whatever pain you are having is going to be reproduced 10 times over! and yes, I could feel my leg pains too.

The Disco was a great tool to find out what really was going on with my spine. MRI and CT's can only give the surgeon one view of what is going on, but with the Discogram they get a full report on what is causing your issues. So yes, I would definetely recommend a Discogram for to find out why your leg is hurting. Good luck with the test!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Many of us have had them. I always say they are painful in the "moment" when they are seeking to see if they can re-create your pain. They gave me IV versed during the procedure. The beauty of versed is you know it hurts but you are so relaxed and it tends to help you forget that it hurt. I was sore for 1-2 days after but just like the pain a small bruise would give you (I didn't have a bruise but that's what the pain reminded me of). Right after the discogram they gave me fentanyl in the IV for pain relief and sent me to a radiology center for a quick CT (since they focus the CT only on the disc that got the dye in the discogram the CT lasted less than 5 minutes)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thank you for the information. This helps. I had to beg my doctor to do this procedure, since nothing else is really showing anything. I hope he takes the results seriously - I know this test is very controversial.

Thanks again.