Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post surgery "jumping"??

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello all---when I am laying still all of the sudden my body will "jump".sometimes a leg,but mostly my entire body-and I noticed it happens alot when I am laying on my side.Is this nerves,or muscles??????

• how long since surgery? Only thing I can think of is it is possibly just a bit of anestesia in your system. I had the shakes right after I woke up.
    Or could be muscle spasms....ask for some meds .there are so many of them to use...
  • I haven't had surgery but when I hurt my back the other day my leg jumped sometimes when I was sitting or laying down so I guess it was muscle for me. But that's my experience. I would call your Dr. just to let him know. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • What meds are you on for pain. I am 1 year out and still do this. I blame my oxycodone or fentanyl patch
  • Hi I do the samething and it has been 3 year since surgery, My Doctor said it was from the pain meds. Hope it gets better. It is kinda embarrasing.
  • I still have this and it's been 1.5 yrs since surgery. I noticed this days after my fusion. The doc said it could be the nerves that are healing from surgery. The nerves could have been moved around during surgery or you may have had some nerves that were pinched before surgery that are just waking up. I overdid it today and carried a couple of pieces of firewood into the house cuz noone was home to help and I had an increase in that jumping feeling. I felt an increase in my sciatic pain and thought this may have been due to inflammation in the nerves or something to that affect.

It's totally random too, like a hand here and leg and then a foot. Almost like being shocked but w/o the pain.
  • I have just started having this this week. Mainly my legs but the other night my lower back did it. Seems to happen most when I am really tired. Hurts though pulling all the muscles that are sore already. I am 12 weeks post PLIF tomorrow.
  • as well as cramps. I get them mostly in the early hours of the morning but also sometimes during the day. They are in my legs, feet and even my lower back.

Yesterday, my doctor said it was due to the nerves having been rested for a while, and they were waking up. I think she said they are in a chanel and are moving to free themselves when they aren't used in a while. Something like that! lol

I do find that when I do plenty of walking, I seem to get much less during the day, and also a bit less at night.

I haven't had surgery, but do have compression on my nerves.

Hope this helps.
  • I would guess that it's probably a combination of things, from the meds to nerve issues. I had that happen every day, several times a day basically the last 4 or 5 months prior to surgery and it continued until about 1 1/2 to 2 months after surgery. But now that I have no nerve issues, no pain, and have been med free for 2 months, all of that weirdness has stopped. I still have a few little muscle twitches in my leg, but it happens once or twice a week. And it just feels weird, no pain or anything and it goes away after 20 seconds or so.

Hopefully once you can be off the meds or at least cut down, and your body has more time to heal these things will calm down. But if they get worse or are painful definitely call your doc.
  • thank you for your replies--I am only a week out of surgery,so it is probably all of the above- I have been on pain med a long time,and the nerves in my leg were affected from the disk herniation--I see my dr. next thursday,so I will tell him---glad to know others have experienced this--well,you know what I mean--