Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long Term Disability

GweniverreGGweniverre Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wwondering if anyone who has had back surgery is now on long term disability. I had a double TLIF level l4-S1 w/laminectomy and hardware. I am 7 weeks post op and still not able to sit for longer than 1=2 hours and can only walk about 30 mins before I get very tired. Just wondering if it was common for people with this kind of surgery to return to work right away or how long they were out?

• and have been for 4 years .uk
  • For 2 years..... Recovery from spinal surgery is different for everyone, so do not return to work until you are close to 100%, doing it before can only hurt you.
  • Had second surgery on 12/4/09 to remove bone spur/fragment, clean up scar tissue. now on LTD. they are trying to get me approved for SSDI.
  • Hi Gweniverre
    As you can see, everyone's story will be different. A lot will depend on you, your recocery, your doctors, and even the job you are attempting to return to.

When I had my Fusion I did not return to work for 7 months. Several things led to that including a pretty demanding physical job which require long hours on concrete floors. This of course, lead me to a period of time on LTD. I have read on here of people who returned sooner and hopefully they will respond for you.

Let your body be your guide. Be sure to discuss your job requirements as only you know them with your doctor. Be sure to take into consideration your travel time to and from as well.

Allow yourself time to heal properly.

Good luck and speedy recovery.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Yes, I am currently on LTD from my employer. I went out of work in late April of 2008 and my STD maxed out in November and then my LTD started. I'm scheduled for surgery 2/3/2010. I hope to get back to work someday but it will all depend on my recovery, medications and if my neck needs further treatment as well. If not, and if I remain disabled, I am eligible to collect LTD until my retirement age.

SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance (for US citizens only in case you are not in the US). If you are on LTD via a LTD insurance company or third party administrator it is likely that they will eventually require you apply for SSDI. Every year, a month or two before your birthday, SS sends a letter out to everyone that tells them what they will likely be eligible for at retirement and if they become disabled in the near future.

If I remain out of work for one year my LTD insurance company requires that I apply for SSDI. If awarded then the LTD carrier deducts my SSDI from my LTD benefits. LTD carriers often insist anyone on claim apply for SSDI as it will thus reduce their financial obligation. For example, if I get $30000/mo from LTD and SS awards me $1800/mo, then the LTD carrier will pay me $1200 ($3000 - $1800 = $1200).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos