Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Myofascial release PT and "dry needlig

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Alternative Treatments
Has anyone tried this type of PT? My Pt has been doing the myofascial release technique for a few months now. I still have muscle pain (around the SI). Now they have me scheduled for the dry needling to try to release the muscle spasms. Would be very interested in anyone's experience.

• hope it works.....
    dif strokes for dif folks
    i'd be like you, try anything to get rid of pain
  • Do you have scar tissue around the fusion? What are the symptoms for which you are receiving the dry needling?

When there is pain in the area surrounding the SI joints, it is often hard to diagnose the exact pain generator.

I see you had spondylolisthesis and a fusion to correct it. Sometimes the surgeon will attempt to make the vertebrae line up again and it can lead to a lot of soft tissue problems. It can take the tissue a long time to "rearrange" itself to accommodate the new positioning caused by the fusion.

Sometimes this pain can stem from the psoas muscle. It can also be piriformis. There are a variety of tendons and muscles in this area and all or any can create problems with the SI joints. If there is an imbalance, the pelvis can rotate. Even a slight degree of rotation can cause big problems and pain. ETC. I can go on and on, but you get the idea. That's why I wondered what your symptoms are.

Also, sometimes when people are prone to spondylolisthesis, they also have hypermobility at the SI joints. This can result in issues such as thinking one leg is shorter than the other...when in reality it is just movement of one SI joint or the other, causing a rotation to the pelvis.

Has the myofascial work been helping?

I have had myofascial work but not dry needling. I do have acupuncture every week but it is a different process, and done for a different purpose, in my case.

I think all these things CAN be beneficial in the right practioner's hands. I would give it a fair trial to see if it helps. If you are not convinced after a month of it, maybe try something else, or a different practioner.
  • how have you been girl
    I have alot of scar tissue from my incision that was made for the dbl foraminotomy - it looks like a big fat caterpiller on the mri -
    anyway, muscle spasms are horrific when they are present -
    other than that I have trigger point massages twice a week, which is getting expensive, but a small price to pay to make the pain more tolerable.....
    wonder if the spasms will ever stop - 11 mos post op
  • had a "trigger point release trmnt" & "adhesion/scar tissue release" again yesterday afternoon & she was able to get to the ones hidden in shoulder blade - WHAT A RELIEF -
  • My old PT was never able to release the muscle spasm. I'd like to try something else- I have a lot of scar tissue and damage around the fracture.