Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Longtime Lurker / First Time Poster

huskerfanhhuskerfan Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
I've been using this site for quite some time, due to my spinal health problems since 2004. But I've always just been a lurker. I think it's time for me to join the discussion, rather than just observing it from the outside.

A brief history of my problems...

My problems first started in August of 2004. I woke up with extreme pain in my left shoulder. I noticed that it got much, much worse with certain movements of my neck, so I determined it probably had something to do with that. Within two months (after MRI's, PT & Myelogram), I was already undergoing an ACDF at C6/C7 due to the severity of the herniation as well as the nerve damage it was causing. It was all attributed to DDD.

I went about 2-1/2 years without any major problems. In January of 2007, I woke up with similar pain in the opposite arm/shoulder. After two more months of MRI's, PT, accupuncture & myelogram, I was having another ACDF (this time at C5/C6).

In late 2008, I started having severe pain in my left lower back. I thought it was just spasms/etc., so I put off doing anything major about it until April of 2009. After my initial MRI, it was found that I had two herniations (L4/L5 & L5/S1). I had epidural injections in May 2009 along with PT in May & June. In late June, I looked into Artificial Disc Replacement, but my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I decided to undergo a two-level microdisctectomy on 7/1/09. On 7/11/09, I reherniated both discs to a worse degree than they were initially damaged. On 7/22/09, I underwent a two-level PLIF to prevent further nerve damage.

I returned to work on 8/27, the same day I found out that I would be getting laid off (I knew ahead of time that this was a possibility). My last day with my company was 10/27/09. I still haven't found any new work, and my severance package ran out on 12/31/09. I am still optimistic about finding a good job, but I have been having more extreme pain (this time, in my mid-back), and I'm starting to wonder if I need to start looking into filing for disability. I'm only 35 years old, and I've already had four discs removed and those sections fused. I'm struggling with what life has thrown at me lately, so I just wanted to join a group of people that have a good understanding of what I'm going through.

Also, I have been diagnosed and dealing with depression since I was in college (actually, if I wasn't so stubborn, I should have been being treated for it in high school... ;-)). I do pretty well with dealing my depression (I haven't had any bad episodes in several years), but all of this happening within the past 6-7 months is pushing me pretty good.

Anyway, I look forward to sharing more with all of you in the future. I'm so glad this board is around for people like us!!!

• Welcome to spine health. Lots of helpful people here with (unfortunately) lots of experience. I, too, have been dealing with one part after another of my back and neck falling apart (L2-S1 fused, future cervical fusion C3-C7). I know its frustrating and depression goes hand in hand with all of these pain issues.

There is a lot of helpful articles on this site too. I have no experience with filing for disability, but others on this site have. Good luck with finding some relief.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by to visit us finally!! :D i am sorry you are still in pain after surgeries. perhaps it is time to file for your disability. it takes so long to get!! please stop by anytime. i hope you are feeling better soon. :D most all of us here battle depression, it seems to go with chronic pain.. it is good to have other members to chat with.. good luck! :D Jenny :)