Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery in 2 weeks

truckin-101ttruckin-101 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
Finally have been able to schedule surgery, was'nt nervous about it until it became a real thing!! Have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer. Am having a c4 thru c7 fusion with peek cages and a c5 corpectomy, has anyone had something similar? Curious as to the fecovery time and amount of movement that I will be left with in my neck. Also, surgeon will be using Gardner-Wells tongs presumably for traction, again, is this normal? and is it just for surgery or will I use it for traction after the surgery? Any response greatly appreciated! :SS

• Welcome to Spine-Health. We all understand about the pre-surgery jitters. I'm sorry you're going through this but glad you found us.

I've had a C4-7 ACDF, but no cage and no corpectomy. I can tell you that the ACDF recovery alone is at least three months. Unfortunately I've never stopped having pain or spasms and it's probably due to non-fusion at C6/7. That's the very toughest level to fuse because it moves every time you move your head. My ROM is really good, just a littlelimited looking up and down, but I have never been able to look in any one direction for very long without pain.

The traction during surgery is normal. They used 20 pounds on me, according to my operation report. They have to stretch out your neck to get all that stuff in there that they use to replace the discs. My surgeon had warned me that I'd probably feel some dried blood above both ears and in the middle of my scalp from the traction device.

You won't be getting any traction after surgery and if someone offers it, don't do it. You're going to have a metal plate, a cage and screws so you don't want anything pulling on your head after surgery.

Good luck on your surgery. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions (although you'll get great answers posting more questions publicly) or if you just want to vent to a fellow neckie.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i cannot answer your questions, i just stopped by to say hello. :H i hope your surgery is a complete success for you. good luck and keep us posted! :D Jenny :)
  • Thanks Cath111 O:) and lulusheart >:D< for the information and words of encouragement. I have been working towards surgery since Feb. 08 so I am anxious to get it done and at the same time worried because i know that I am not the take it easy type. Luck and continued improvement with your surgeries. Ed