Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS for discogenic low-back pain (L3-L4)

Keano16KKeano16 Posts: 89
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Kind regards to everyone,

this question is only for people that had SCS or SCS trial to treat their DISCOGENIC low back pain.

I have a DDD in my L3-L4, and I already had 3 surgeries (1 traditional and 2 minimally-invasive). I am still feeling very bad, I can't leave apartment because of chronic low-back pain.

Did anyone had SCS or SCS trial because of discogenic low-back pain? What was your result?

• I had an SCS for low back AND foot and leg pain. The SCS made my low back pain much worse. The rep said this cam sometimes happin. I am sure other have had better luck with the SCS than I had. The program for my low back pain was removed.
    BTW...I also have DDD.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Pat, I just want to make sure your position is clear to the OP - from your previous posts, your LBP happened when you stood too long or bent over too long. That sounds like facet joint problems, not a disc problem.

Keano specifically asked about the SCS and discogenic lower back pain, so I didn't want to mislead him if what you posted previously is true.

• Well, I also have severe DDD in L4-5 and L5-S1 and nerve pain down my legs. My PM doctor said that the SCS was worth a try in my case and I decided to go along with his recommendation. I did the trial but I started leaking spinal fluid and had a horrible spinal headache. My back was really sore from the procedure and I could not lay directly on it because of the external unit taped to my back, so it was hard tell how it worked there. I did notice that I didn't get relief from my nerve pains and muscle spasms in my legs and instead aggravated the problem. Of course this is only my experience but there are plenty of success stories here. Today I do have a pain pump since I did much better with that trial.

I do hope you have success with the SCS and I have read that they have models that do a better job covering the back as well as the extremities. I understand what you're going through and am sure you'll be able to find something can help you improve your quality of life. Take care