Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i made it through my l4l5plif

rmickhail2rrmickhail2 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi everybody, just made it through my plif surgery yesturday. was up and walking 3and1/2 hrs. after surgery. i'm loaded with drugs. didn't sleep that great throgh the night, was pretty much awake every 45 min. the surgeon came into my room this morning and told me how the MRI didn't even show how badly the nerve was being pinched. When he opened me up and actually saw it for himself, he couldn't beleieve how crushed the nerve was.. He said it took longer to finish me up because of that. he also said that he couldnt believe how i work so rough and tough everyday of my life, with as bad as what he saw that the nerve was. i'm katy his fiance, rick asked me to write this for him cuz he keeps dozing on and off. so the doc said he should be coming home sat, but most likely sunday. so i think i'm really wanteing to move around and walk, and my nurse said that it's good for me, but then when i get back into the bed, oh boy, i'm sore. just got another dose of the dalottin(sp) stronger than morphine... time to go to sleep, thanks rick and katy

• Glad to hear that you made it through the surgery and are now on your way to recovering from it all. It is amazing what the surgeons find once they pop the hood and get a real good look inside. Sounds like it was a very good thing that you were able to finally get all of this fixed.

Well rest, relax and let them get your pain under control before you try to get out of there and go home.

Best wishes

• congratulations Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jeannie
  • Recovery from a PLIF is rough (I had a 2 level) but if you live by the no bending, lifting and twisting rules you will be OK. Let others help and make your recovery your number one priority.

Come to the site with your progress or questions, many of us have been through this procedure.
  • Great to hear that you are on the road to recovery Rick.
  • Congrats on getting through the surgery. I'm with you, buddy. Getting in and out of the bed or chairs is pure he11. Log roll or no log roll, plain and simple - it hurts lick the dickens.

Hang in there and just do what they tell you. Make sure you take your medications on time because once the pain gets ahead of you, it's hard to get back under control. I let that happen yesterday and my nurse "tsk tsk'd" me and had to give me a double shot of morphine to get caught up.

While you're in the hospital, they'll do anything they can to keep you as comfortable as possible so never hesitate to ask for something you need, like muscle relaxants if your having spasms or an extra shot of pain meds if you feel it's not under control.

Take care you two and you know I'm there for you both.

• Great to hear the surgery went well. Stick to your restrictions and I hope your recovery goes well
  • It's amazing the MRI doesn't show how extreme things really are on the inside. It's good you've had surgery now and on your way to recovery. Take care and hope you have a speedy recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad to hear you are on the mend! Take care and get the rest you need!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • High 2 everybody. I am 2 days out and doing okay. I just figured out how hard coughing is and also pt and ot. The dilautin works good. I have not slept much since I've been here. The dr's and nurses's say that its because of me not liking the hospital. I THINK WITH ALL OF THE DRUGS THEY ARE PUMPING THROUGH me should knock me down on my arsse. So My 2nd day report is ok. Just don't cough it stinks. Other then that I should be going home in the a.m.. I will post and keep u all informed. Take care all.

• Happy to see the update, but don't over do it! Rest and get yourself settled in at home. I hope that you are able to get some sleep and start feeling better soon. Bummer about the coughing.

• Is such a magical place to be. No one coming in to wake you up five times in the middle of the night, being able to control your own pain (hopefully), and just having familiar surroundings. Glad to hear you made it through well. Now -- do obey the no bending, lifting, or twisting rule and you'll be on your way to recovery. Most docs say lift nothing heavier than a gallon of milk.

All the best.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • rick,good to see the update--yes,home is good-I am probably one of the few spineys who would rather stay an extra day in the hospital with all the care than go home too soon---just don't rush it----its hard to remember not to bend,twist,etc when you are back to doing things in your home---just be careful!!!we are so glad you are on the road to recovery!-----just a note---I am 9 days past anterior/posterior spinal fusion-we had friends over yesterday, and even though they waited on me I was up and down more than I have been-----I was up at 5 a.m. crying with pain-which has not happened with this surgery----so just take it easy!
  • Glad to see you are headed in the right direction - all roads point to recovery :)

keep updating