Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Day 2 of SCS. scared, questions??

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hey all. My name is Dina, been around the boars for awhile, just not on this particular one,

I am on day two of my 5 day trial. Stim was placed yesterday - its a medtronic. I have a question - My back is killing me!!! It really hurts where he inserted the Stim. How long will this last? The site looks good, no infection etc,,,but I feel like I got punched or kicked in the back.

Not sure yet if I like the sensation. It does seem to work for my nerve pain though.

My question is also - I do not have the nerve pain all the time. I can go sometimes almost a day without feeling this pain, other days it can be horrible. DEpends on what I am doing. If I am sitting for long, it tends to hurt a lot more. I am planning to try to go back to work. I am nurse but am restricted to desk duty forever. So I am sure it will help.

Are there others out there that were not so sure about "liking" the feeling, but got used to it, or am I expecting too much too soon? Should I give it a few more days? I do have a long ride to take on Sunday and look forward to seeing how it works.

Also, I am so restricted to what I can do, how can I get an accurate picture or if it will work?

Is it worth it to get this implanted if my nerve pain is not constant?

Sorry to ramble, I'm not myself, and I'm very scared not knowing what to do and what I should/should not be feeling.

• It is very normal to feel pain at the site of the lead entry. I would give it to the end of the trial before I make any decisions. For me by day 3 I didn't notice the pain of the puncture site and he stimulation changed so that I hardly noticed it. It is is uncomfortable call your Rep and have them reprogram for you.
  • Those temp leads smart like the dickens. You get used to the feeling after a while. Have you tried turning the stimulation down to where you can barely tell if its there to see if it still helps. I really don't like it turned up real high and have found that I can get good coverage by hunting for the sweet spot. This type of setting doesn't always work well when my nerves want to give me a hard time and then you have to turn it up a notch.

I don't know how to answer your question for part time pain. You sound similar to me in that sitting aggravates my nerves the most and of course I sit 8 hours a day.

I know the trial is a little uncomfortable, so you kind of have to try and see the forest through the trees.

• It is quite common for the feeling of being punched in the back where the leads are inserted and tacked down. The key is to not focus on that pain and focus on whether or not the SCS is helping with the pain it was intended to target.

One thing that I found a bit disconcerting initially was focusing on the actually feeling of the stimulation itself. During the trial our brains are on sensory overload and one of the best things I found I could do, was to just go do something to distract myself. If I sat around focusing on whether or not I liked the feeling or whether or not it was helping me out, my mind couldn't handle it very well. When I got dressed and got out and about and tried to do things I normally couldn't do, then I found out how well the SCS was helping me.

I can't speak for the issue of the pain not being constant, since mine is constant. However I can speak to it being worse during the day or doing different tasks. My SCS does a fantastic job of leveling that out for me. It doesn't remove it, but instead of having different levels of incredible pain, I now have different levels of discomfort with some breakthrough pain on days that I do things that really set it off.

Have you tried adjusting the trial stimulator settings? Have you tried turning it off for a period of time? Have you gotten up and out of the house to go for a walk or do something you haven't been able to do comfortably for a while? Have you tried icing your back where the leads are inserted?

Hang in there and don't let the sensory overload get to you. Take a deep breath and try to relax. If the stimulation is too much, then turn it down to where you just begin to feel it and see if that helps out. Don't hesitate to contact the Medtronic rep to get some tweaking done during your trial. It is your trial and you need to make the best of it to prove to yourself whether or not it will work for you!