Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

BamaCherylBBamaCheryl Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all,
My recovery is still going well. =D> I have gotten the okay from my NS to start driving again. I find every day is getting better. I still have some nerve pain in the left thigh going on. I know that will take time to heal considering how out of whack my nerves were. I do have a question of concern. When I had surgery, I was on my stomach for the better part of 11 hours straight. After waking in recovery there was a large red, sore area next to my right breast. The skin at this area is numb to the touch and the underlying muscle tissue is very sore. The surgeon just told me he figures it was because of the lack of circulation to the area during surgery and it will heal on its own. It is now almost 1 month post-op and the skin is still numb and the underlying tissue still hurts and is difficult to lie on that side of my body when I sleep. I dont see the doctor until Feb 2. Is this something that anyone else has experienced from surgery? Is it normal for it to take this long to heal? I am worried maybe the numbness will not go away. :SS

• You might want to see your gynecologist for a breast exam. They know that area better than anyone. Not to panic but I can't imagine it taking that long to return to normal.

• Congrats on your recovery being successful. I'm so happy for you - that was one big surgery you had there. I hope I feel so well after 24 days so please keep us posted.

I don't think I'd be concerned about the area that you mentioned. It does sound like they might have laid you on something that gave you a kind of temporary poralysis of sorts, but I wouldn't be too awful worried. My surgeon told my husband before surgery that it was likely I'd have all sorts of bruises all over the place because of the way they might have to move me and set me down during surgery.

If you see that area getting worse, then be all means call your doctor again, but until then, try not to sweat it.

• Can't hurt to see your gyne...Sometimes a red area signifies an infection so it might be best to get it looked at by a boob professional.

• Why was your surgery so long?

Even after a surgery that is just two or three hours long, it is not that unusual to awaken with a new area of pain or numbness. Sometimes it goes away quickly and other times, it can take quite awhile. Some people never quite get rid of it.

I think there are several people on the board currently who have little numb patches on a foot or ankle from the positioning during surgery. I had femoral nerve damage from mine.

Hopefully yours is just taking its sweet time to come back.

Glad to hear you are doing well otherwise. Remember to walk and rest, walk and rest and be patient with your recovery. It does not pay to try to rush thing along.

• I would get it checked-only if for peace of mind----you don't want anything to get in the way of your healing
  • surgery PLIF for 8 hours and had the same type of soreness. Not same area, but it was sore for a very long time. It went away, but took along time. I still have some numbness in my thigh after a year. Nerves take a long time to heal.. Good Luck Love, Robin
  • Thank you all for the advice. I thought of calling my general practitioner since he is familiar with the surgery I had. I saw him just days prior to the surgery. My back was in a mess. The NS said that the spondy was so bad that the L4 and L5 had fused in the slipped position and he had to chisle them apart and straighten all of that out before he could even place them correctly and insert the fusion. He also was dealing with the removal of the L5-S1 disc removal and fusion. The nerve bundle was pulled and trapped in that forward position and those had to be released in a tedious manner. The surgeon is a perfectionist (thank goodness lol). He told me it was the worse case he had ever dealt with in all his years of practice. I am so grateful of his experience and his willingness to take his time and do it right, even if it means having some battle wounds, as I call them. lol I will have it checked out though.