Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

25 days left until 3 LEVEL LUMBAR ADR in Germany- ANXIOUS!!!

kendrakkkendrak Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys,
I am heading to Germany in 18 days and my surgery is in 25 days. Please say prayers and think of me, Kendra Kennedy, on Feb. 2, 2010. Dr. B. is replacing L3-S1 with Pro Disc-L artificial discs. I have read good and bad accounts of ADR and I feel like for me this is my chance at a better life. My husband and I have accepted that we will not be able to have baby number #2. I am so nervous about messing up the implants afterwards that he said if that is my worry, then lets not go there. We have a beautiful boy and all he ever will remember is the new and improved Mommy- Bionic Mom! This is true. Thanks so much for all of your insight. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated. We all have our own journey through this pain, but it's nice to be able to talk to others with simialr issues. Before this webiste I felt so isolated and alone and depressed with my pain, now I feel supported. THANKS!!!

• Best of luck for your op. Hopefully the awful weather we're having in Europe will have eased up somewhat by then.
  • Good luck with your trip and ADR surgery. Keep a good attitude and positive thoughts and it will help you in all aspects of your life and healing. It's awesome that you have such a supportive and understanding husband! Keep us all posted on how things go and of course how you feel afterwards.

• Bring plenty of warm clothes!
    It's cold this side of the pond.

Wishing you the very best of luck, that things go well and that you will soon be on the way to a much better life.
  • Thanks for your thoughts to me earlier. I wish you the best in your procedure. While you are there, stop in on our foreign exchange student for me. She is in Erfurt. Good Luck and I will be praying for your safe trip and good outcome! Love, Robin
  • I have prayers and good vibes scheduled for you. Normally my prayers are 'free' but this time, I am asking a favor...when you feel up to it, can you post and let us know how recovery is going.

I am very interested in ADR. I am hoping my revision microdiscectomy works for another 10-20 years but if not, I am hoping it works long enough for US insurance to cover ADR b/c it just seems to be more "natural" than a fusion. I know that sounds crazy.

In all seriousness, I'll pray for your and send good vibes either way. As for a 2nd baby, you are very wise. I think your son will be very proud that his parents put their welfare and his as a priority vs. the desire for a 2nd child. Besides, there are many children up for adoption that would welcome the chance to join a family.

Good luck.
  • I just want to wish you the best of luck, I shall be thinking of you as I sweat it out in hospital just 4 hours north of where you will be. I am going for 4 weeks intensive physiotherapy/Aquatherapy in an excellent hospital just over the border in Denmark.

I am sure that many people on here will want to know how it goes as ADR may well be the "life changer" in their futures. So when you are ready, we will want to know how you are!!

In the meantime as mentioned, wear/pack lots of layers and a hat ( we silly humans have 90% of our heat loss out of our heads !) Remember books , magazines and puzzles as these cost a small fortune in English over here.
    Just relax and take one day at a time,you are on your way to an improved life.

Best Wishes Viking
  • Like I mentioned to you in PM's, I will be cheering for you!
    I will be on the lookout for your post-op updates.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • and hoping that this will give you a pain-free back with lots of flexibility. That is about the only thing (other than the scars) I regret about my surgery -- lack of flexibility. All blessings be upon you!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • My prayers are with you for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

I'm so glad that you found this website and it has helped you out so much. It is a great community to be a part of. My only regret is that I didn't find it sooner. I found it after my surgery ended up not being successful.

Please keep us updated on your progress when you are up to it.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Best wishes to you for travel and a successful surgery. You never know, maybe the second child will come into your life in a different way (adoption) and that is just as joyful. What's important now is you become the most well healed bionic mom you can :-) How long are you staying in Germany after the surgery?
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • lots of luck coming your way! good luck..

• I have been thinking of you and wish you the best of luck over there. You will have my thoughts and prayers and I may be following you over there, who knows. Keep us posted, hopefully you are taking a laptop over.........Mitch

• Dr b is the bomb!! I went to bogen , Germany last February with dr b for 3 level ADR but I got a staph infection for which dr b flew all the way to Wisconsin to fix me. Dr b had to remove all of my 3 adr's and fuse me. He is a neat guy and every single doctor I saw for 2nd 3rd opinions all knew who he was. You're going to the absolute best in the world. The most common risk is ADR subsidence, and I know a lady who I met here where I live who had 3 level with dr b but unfortunately, the disc post op x rays showed subsidence already occuring so dr b had to take her back in and add bone cement on 2 of them. Now, 3 and 6 months later, her 3rd ADR is subsiding worse and worse, so now she has to look into finding a competent enough doc to fix it. I only sharing this with you in case you might discuss it preop with dr b. But I think subsidence is rare.
  • I will be in Germany a total of 2 weeks after surgery, if all goes well. Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers. I know I am taking a risk with ADR but my Neurosurgeon, who I trust, really thinks it's the way to go foir my situation. I'm a pretty cut and dry case. Steve I am paying an extra $15,000 as Dr. Is now including the cement/ceramic as a standard part of the 3 levels. My bone density films were done here last week and they will help him confirm the need for ceramics on the vertabrae endplates. Good luck all. Xoxo
  • as the saying says health to u, i wish u all the very best with the adr surgery and that it brings u the joy u need

saying a wee prayer for u in chapel on sunday

wwish u all the best from ireland

• kendra-I am sending a big TEXAS GOODLUCK PRAYER---please let us keep us posted as you can,Jeannie
  • Hi Kendra

Sending you positive thoughts and a prayer from Oz. I hope your surgery goes really well and you enjoy some of the sights of Germany before your op.

Good decision not to have another child and love your little one even more.

When you get home, do accept as much help from family and friends as you can.

We're all looking forward to hearing from you when you get home and able to post.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008

• Hope that the surgery is straight forward and that your recovery will be smooth and complete.

We'll all look forward to hearing from you when you are able, to let us know how it goes.

Take care
  • Just a quick note to say I am thinking of you, and hope you are soon on your way home to start your recovery, and that you will soon be feeling well enough to tell us how you are doing!

Best Wishes Viking
  • aloha kendra,
    i am actually in Hamburg right now and it is spring and beautiful. with all the sun shining into your hospital your spirit and body will easily slip into healing mode.
    i just had a 2 level adr in los angeles 1 month ago. my doc was surprised i was travelling so soon but i need to work to pay for all this ( insurance didn't cover any of it ) i am pretty much pain free although i am still being very protective.
    i have not heard of a lot of 3 levels adr's so keep us posted on your recovery. my brother needs a 3 level so we are really interested in how things work for you.
    his doc was recomending fusion for S1-L5 and adr for the next two levels.
    i certainly will send some prayers your way.
    oh yeah i too was concerned about these things slipping out of place but i have heard that would be very rare. but still stay protective for the first 3 months.
    aloha bryan