Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

~A burning intense pain in my shoulder~

Fusion-FunFFusion-Fun Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I joined this site because I'm trying to find some answer's to my own problem and hopefully someone here has gone thru it and knows..
I had a 2 level neck fusion a week ago and am now in a J-brace for the next several weeks...

I've had absolutely no problems and the healing process is coming along great..Except for one thing..I get this intense burning in my right shoulder and upper back..It's very target specific and burns and hurts like nothing I've ever felt, and I have had 14 surgeries involving my knees and left foot ;)

If any of you have had this happen could you please write and let me know what you did about it for relief?? All I can do at this point is eat the painpills and not move very much..I do go to see my surgeon on the 15th if this pain/burn continues..

• Sorry to hear about your pain. I have similar pain, though mine's been ongoing as I have fibromyalgia as well. What I've done to alleviate mine is take muscle relaxers, ice/heat the area, and consciously remember to relax my shoulders. This has gone on so long for me that I physically can't get my right shoulder down far enough for a good x-ray.

From what you describe, I'm not sure if it's due to muscle spasms or not, but if it is, hopefully the above will help until you can get in with your surgeon.

• After I had my cervical fusion, I had similiar pain. My neurosurgeon told me that my nerves were screaming from being decompressed. I was put on Lyrica. It gradually lessened over a period of about a month and was completely gone after three. Have you contacted your surgeon about this?

Best wishes,

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    It sounds like nerve pain and that's common after neck surgery as the nerves get moved and manipulated. Consider calling your doctor to see if something like Neurontin (gabapentin) or Lyrica are an option. I'm having surgery 2/3 and today at my pain management appointment I asked for a prescription for gabapentin for after the surgery (wanted to be prepared if I get the searing nerve pain0.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I sincerely appreciate all of the help and advice from you all..Yes, I have contacted my neurosurgeon, and will see him this next week..I've noticed that any kind of stress amps the pain and also that warm wet heat will tone it down somewhat..Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer me, and good luck with what you are all going thru!! ;)
  • Sounds more like a muscle spasm to me-they hurt like anything!
    Try repeated doses of muscle relaxers, say at nighttime so you will sleep and help the muscles relax.
    A hot bath beforehand may help.
    Avoid using the shoulder muscles for repetitive activities-like computers!
    The muscles are probably already in stress so you must stop and let them rest.
    I have had enormous relief from this problem by regular remedial massage.
    Gradually undoes the knots and soothes the irritated muscles.
    Takes a while when you are really bad, but it works.
    Pills don't do it. They help a bit, but you have to get to the cause and stop it.
    Muscles tend to get overlooked yet they play a vital and major role in everything we do. The pain is a call for help.