Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Send me bubblewrap!

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Incredibly....for the 3rd time since my surgery I hit my head...this is so amazing to me! I know and understand that surgery might make some of us a bit clumsy but I think I've passed the "bit clumsy" and might just deserve my own category of clumsy. I'm not even gonna tell my doc about this one unless I can't get the pain under control!!!!!

But on the brighter side of the day...I got nice, comfy recliner for $100!!!!!!

Fellow spineys...u think my doctor found a clumsy gene in my neck and accidentally activated it????? :))(

• What happened this time? No judgement here, within 2 hours this morning I dropped and spilled things at least 4 times. Its kind of hard to be careful when our surgery and neck/back problems make everything a bit more difficult. Just so long as you didn't do any damage. Mend/feel better soon!
  • It seems spine surgery comes with a dose of clumsy.
    I have always been a bit clumsy (trip over nothing, not aware of where my body is and walk into the coffee table despite the fact it's been in the same place for 5 years, etc).

But after my surgery, I never dropped so many things that I could not bend over to pick up.

I will save my bubble wrap for you...
  • maybe the clumsy part is the reason we need the grabber thingy!
  • Lisa....its what our lives have become...dropping things, bumping heads....drugs and naps. But you know what???? I find humor in the craziness of how often this happens to me now. I really won't be going out for a while now since I have my recliner. I can sit in the living room and watch cable!!!!!! Haven't watched cable in 8 weeks.

Yay!!!! We'll get past this Lisa and never again remember how clumsy we were at one time in our lives. Let us make a pact....k?????? LOL

• Hi Yvonne: If we can't find the humor in our temporary situations then we are totally lost. I have been bored out of my mind, now it is the 7/8 week mark....and crappy winter (I love those 20 degree days!), feel like I am going to lose it soon!

I grew up in a crafting home, my Mom even made "homemade" play-doh!! Since surgery I have crocheted about 40 hats for premie babies (my 2nd was born at 30 weeks) and then somehow got sucked into making beaded snowflakes. I collect snowflakes for my Christmas tree, all kinds. I just realized that I made about 120 already!! It keeps me busy, but what am I going to do with all of these?!!

And Amy: good luck on your recovery, and you are right, I couldn't live without the grabber, although 1/2 the time I misplace it and squat to pick up things. At least my butt and legs are getting toned!
  • I think you need a helmet GF. But really sorry you hurt yourself. I think it's the medications and when you have surgery not being able to steady yourself or move around as you used to and will be able to in the future. When my foot was numb I used to stub my toe on the same couch that's been there forever..
    Bubblewrap my kitten loves it! I hear her popping it in the basement where I have some. Take it easy and slow down though I know it must be hard having children to take care of. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have tons a bubble wrap cuz my hubby just bought a huge printer for his tshirt business.

I hope you enjoy your recliner and cable and take some time out to rest and recover from the clumsiness. Hopefully the surgeon didn't activate some clumsy nerve during surgery. You may have to walk around with a padded helmet if that's the case lol. Laughter is the best medicine and having a good sense of humor really makes bad situations easier to handle.
  • Well for one thing hun, keep yourself away from that car! At least for a while. I don't know about the bubble wrap, but a helmet might be a good idea! Ha ha

Glad you got your recliner! So now you need to relax and try to practice a little self preservation!
  • Really...it hates me. That hatch door hasn't fallen in the 3 weeks since it hit me. Who hits their head on the door frame of a car????????

A helmet though....I think it'd break my neck, with my brain being so big and all. ha ha......

I'm going to take it easy now though...promise.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    with your doctor. There should not be any reason you keep on bumping your head. If anything, after the surgery you should have better balance.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I agree with Ron, you need to call your surgeon and inform him/her of this. If you are more clumsy following surgery something isn't right. They need to get this addressed right away, as something more serious could be going on.
  • I really think you should get checked out. A certain amount of clumsiness -- dropping things, being a bit wobbly on your feet, etc., is to be expected, but to hit your head that often is unusual. Get checked out.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • The clumsiness is not good in itself and should definitely be checked out by your doctor, but because you've had cervical surgery hitting your head so often is the surest way to get yourself back under the knife.

At the risk of upsetting you, and I really don't want to do that, I'm concerned that your continually hitting your head has become a comedic event. Cervical surgery and recovery is a very serious issue and should never be taken lightly.

I've had an ACDF so I know how inherently automatic it should be to protect your neck/head since it's obviously the most vulnerable part of your body right now.

Please understand that I only have your best interest at heart.

• I'll have to agree about getting checked out. I'm glad you can find the comical side in all this, and hopefully it's just due to you being on pain meds, etc, but still the doc should be told.

On the other hand, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia nearly 20 years ago, back when they thought it was extremely rare. I was never so glad to find out that folks with this are prone to clumsiness, as I run into everything. I trip over the coffee table, run into doorways, and drop things all the time! I was glad to find I actually had an excuse for my clumsiness :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" />
  • Hi all. I'll be calling the doctor tomorrow...I'm heeding all of your advice. This clumsiness is weird and maybe its just the medicine. However...let me be clear and say...I've hit my head 3 times and besides going to the dr's office, I've only gone out 6 times. With my dr's visits that might be a total of 12 times getting into the car in 2 months.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what he says. My left hand is burning and tingling. Today has been a slow day, given to a lot of thought.

Thanks everyone. I'll update tomorrow when I hear from the office.

• Hi all. Gotta make another trip to my surgeon!!!! thats 3 in 4 weeks!!!! Fun, huh????

I'll post when I hear....had a great morning but now my neck is really hurting, left hand is tingling. But its still a GREAT DAY!!!!
  • Hi Yvonne,
    I'll be waiting to hear how you made out at the surgeon's and pray that there is nothing seriously wrong. It's great that you are still keeping an upbeat positive attitude. Good luck and let me know how you make out whether it's here or FB.

Take care my spiney friend and keep that head and neck protected.

Your friend,
  • I'll let you know Michele. Either here or on FB. Probably both since I can't usually remember where I post what! ha ha...

I think I wrote on your FB. If not, write on my page so we can chat.

I'll let you know. appt's on Wednesday. I have a major headache now.....too much. sigh....might have to go back to the bedroom and lay down.