Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Time for meds and I don't want them

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My alarm just went off to remind me that its time for my next dose of meds.

I don't want to take them!

I've spent the morning bowing to the porcelain fixture in my bathroom and I know that if I take that darn roxycodone I'll be right back in there. The pain can't possibly be worse than the throwing up, right?

It sucks because the roxy is every 4 hours and the phenergen is every 6. That means that a lot of the time I'm on the downhill side of the anti-nausea medication's coverage just when I get a whammy dose of pain med. -it makes me sick sick sick.

This alarm that went off is for robaxin AND roxycodone and I've still got 2 hours before I can take the phenergen. I think I'll try to tough it out then in 2 hours take them all at once.

• Sounds like a good idea to take them together, but also may be a good idea to call the doctor in the morning for a med change.

Best wishes,

• Thanks Marianne. I hate to complain, the medication issue kept me in the hospital all those extra days.

I think I'll ask my NS what he thinks about me moving to just muscle relaxants and tylenol.
  • I can't imagine throwing up so much just after surgery, it must be awful for you.

I would still call your Dr. on Monday, maybe there is something else out there you can try.
    Good luck, hope it gets better very soon.
  • Saltzworks

So sorry to hear how you are suffering with sickness while you are recovering.
    Hope things get sorted soon, so that you can relax and just concentrate on healing.

Take care.
  • I don't have anything new to add, but just wanted to tell you how awful I feel about your vomiting. I simply can't imagine doing that so my heart really goes out to you.

Take care and I hope you can find a solution soon.

• I sometimes wonder whats worse - pain or nausea. Right now its nausea - blech
  • Has your doctor tried different meds?

When I had my accident, they gave me Percocet and I couldn't tolerate it at all- when they switched to Norco I was fine.

And now, I can't tolerate frequent NSAID doses at all.

If you're vomiting right after, are you even getting any of it in your system? (that's what was happening to me, I was getting no benefit at all).
  • Hi Happy :)

I started on Dilaudid and Zofran - both IV

The first night I tried Percocet for pain. Ended up wrapped around the emesis basin with a majorly sick stomach.

Went back to Dilaudid.

Then I tried Roxicodone 10 mg and added Norco when the Roxi wasn't controlling anything. The high dose of Roxi is unusual for me - 5 mg of Roxi was more than enough for pain control on my fusion.

By the second dose of Norco I was itching like crazy and dry heaving. I was holding stuff in because it hurt like the dickens whenever my back arched right before everything would have come up.

I went back to Dilaudid & Zofran for several doses.

Then we added Robaxin to the Roxicodone as well as Phenergen. I still got sick and there was no pain relief. Not quite as sick as before though.

Next we tried Torredol(sp?) in addition to the Roxi, Robaxen and Phenergen.

The Torredol got me on top of the pain. It was not quite as good as the Dilaudid, but it was better than the Roxi alone.

Only thing - can't take Torredol home, had to be at a point that the Roxi would control the pain.

On release my rx's are:

15 mg Roxicodone (Oxycodon) every 4 hrs
    750 mg Robaxin (Methocarbamol) every 6 hrs
    25 mg Phenergen (Promethazine) every 6 hrs

Ibuprofen or Tylenol as needed (use sparingly) if getting breakthrough pain.

Ibuprofen and Torredol thin the blood and can cause increased bleeding. In a fusion you need the blood to clot to start that fusion going. I had a lot of post-op bleeding and am a high risk, even though I am fused I still have holes to fill from where the screws were.

I am seriously contemplating just passing on the Roxi and sticking to just Tylenol, Robaxin and Phenergen. I'll see what the dr. says tomorrow.
  • hi saltz--I am so sorry you are so sick!---I would hate for you to get de-hydrated--I think as well it would be a good idea to call your doc.I would think the nausea would cause jerks of pain,and start the evil cycle of pain,nausea,etc---you don't want to go back to the hospital because you need IV for nourishment---keep us posted-Jeannie
  • Went through the same problems. The IV in the hospital caused me to feel nauseated. They gave me a shot of Phenergan and it helped.

When I left the hospital I got Percoset and Valium. Like you I ended up praying to the porcelain bowl. We got it knocked down to Hydrocodone and Skelaxin. I can take that but not at full dose. The Hydrocodone was down to maybe 2/day. I did not wake up for pills ever. I will not trade of sleep to wake up for more pills.

While I was waiting for the doc to swap my meds. I took some Darvocet that I had. They tone down the volume but don't stop the pain. The upside is they don't make sick at all.

I'd rather have some of the back pain than want to throw up all day. Something like Darvocet or Vicodin is toned down. It works for some. Others think they are just like tic-tacs. Depends on your tolerance. Sounds to me like you have a low tolerance and don't need the heavy stuff.

Good luck with it. I know it sucks. I went a few days right after surgery on just Darvocet and it was painful.

• I am so sorry you have to deal with being so nauseous and pukey right after your surgery! Don't feel bad about complaing.. and don't hesitate to call your doctor's office to tell them your troubles. If you aren't resting then you aren't healing well, and throwing up will definitely dehydrate you. Can you send someone out to get you some Smart Water? It has electrolytes in it and that is what you will need after puking so much.

I feel so bad for you! It took my doctor and nurses a long time to get my pain med concoction right, and even now I still get woozy from the Percocets. I hope you can find something that helps you without the horrible side effect. Are you eating while taking your meds? Make sure you always have something in your stomach, I notice that when my stomach gets empty I get pukey.
  • I also just noticed your above post where you mentioned Ibuprofen. Try not to take that because it inhibits bone growth.
  • Okay, I think I've found my magic mix - Just in time too, I was planning on talking to the dr. about it.

I took a Roxycodome 15ml at 11:00 yesterday morning, along with the Phenergen and a Robaxin. I did eat a half a grilled cheese sandwich with it.

Then I just didn't take anything at all until 10:00pm. I took a Phenergen for nausea, ate a snack at 11:00 and then took the Roxi and Robaxin to go to bed.

My alarm was set to take another round at 6:00 am, but I decided to not take anything unless I really needed it.

It is almost 9:00am and my stitches feel a little sore (mostly from finally getting a BM) but I am not getting any sharp excruciating pain either.

I'll watch it today. I'll take stuff if I get too sore to want to go walking. If I handle it okay then I'll know that returning to work on Wed. isn't just a pipe dream and may be really possible.

I feel like I've made it through the worst days now though. I tell ya, I was doing some serious wondering after having to spend all those extra days in the hospital!
  • It sounds like they have got your pain meds sorted at last. Now just concentrate on healing.
    If you go back to work on Wednesday - be VERY careful; don't over do it!

Take care.
  • I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope that's not too early to return to work for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry,

I am leaving myself open to just going in for a few hours and coming home if I have to on Wed.

I'm trying to not have to take FMLA leave - again.

I do not need a dr. note if I am only gone a week. If I can make it back for even just a few hours at the one week mark, then I don't have to jump through all the FMLA hoops.

I am only scheduled for Wed and Thu, have Friday off, work Sat and then Sun & Mon off. It's an easy schedule to work back into working on.
  • Wow--you are a real trooper. Going from hugging the toilet to going back to work in a matter of a few days is mind-boggling to me! Please don't try to just push through your pain if you don't feel up to returning to work so soon. You really don't want to compromise the surgery. There is a limit to how many times a surgeon is willing to go in and try to do rescue surgery...as I'm sure you know!

• Ah Gwennie - I will certainly apply a heavy dose of caution :) I am certain there will be ups and downs still to go.

Today just happens to be a real up day. I've been out walking twice and it's still fairly early afternoon. It's icy outside, so I think I'll stay inside for the rest of them.

I did call the NS office and ask if I could cut the Roxy's in half. They are not sure, but told me not to, just to be safe. Kind of sucks, those 15's really amke me loopy and sick despite the Phenergen.

I have a plan - if it's still working by Wed. evening, then I think I'll be ok.

Tonight - take all meds at bedtime.
    Tomorrow - take muscle relaxant adding nausea pill if needed.
    Tomorrow night - take muscle relaxant and tylenol at bedtime.
    Wed. morning - see how work goes. If I have to come home early, I have to come home - and I will.

If after a week or so I don't need the Roxy to get through the night or anything then I'll drop the bottle off at the Police Dept. drop box (it's not safe to send them down the toilet or in the garbage really anymore. Our police dept. created a narcotic drop box for the community - I work right there too.)

I'm still hesitant to say that hardware removal is a cinch. But, after those first killer days, it's certainly been a lot easier than the fusion.

I just have to stay sensible, protect my back in every way possible and slowly work back into working out (the NS says to take it easy, but gave me the green light)and then my follow-up is on 1/27 :)
  • So glad the worst is over. Sounds like you had some trying times in the hospital. Sorry it didnt go as easy as it did for me, but at least you feel better and sounds like you are not in alot of pain. I hope this works better for you than it did for me. I am just waiting to see if more time will help.
    Be careful going back to work. I worry about you doing to much to soon. But I think that you know your body and will be ever swo careful Take care, and good luck going back. I will be watching to see how you do. Love, Robin
  • Salz, my heart goes out to you, trying to find pain relief w/o being sick (almost everything makes me sick)
    My question: you said they gave you dilaudid & zofran in the hosp & it worked---can you try that at home now? That's the magic combo I discovered for my fusion: I had IV zofran b4, during & after, a pain-pump w/ dilaudid after, then went to 2 mg oral of dilaudid & 8 mg oral of zofran when they sent me home. Toyed around w/ the specific amounts of dilaudid for relief, but always stayed w/ the 8 mg of zofran until my body adjusted to the "straight" dilaudid, tirated down from 2 mg every 4-6 hrs to (at about 4 months out) 2 mg every 6-8 hrs PRN.
    I still take the 2 mg dilaudid PRN (at 2 years out for chonic pain now) but never get sick @ that level & should I ever need to increase the dose, the zofran does the anti-nausea trick. Compazine made me sick, go figure! Zofran was the ticket.
    So could you ask doc to RX you dilaudid/zofran so you can get some rest, return to work & get on w/ your healing/life?
    Just my 2 cents, based on my "heave-ho" experiences.

Best to you! I am glad you are pacing yourself! But still watch it!

• I wish Lakeside!

My nurses and dr. made it clear that I had to be off the Dilaudid and Zofran before I could go home.

They were both IV meds at the time.

I didn't argue too much, I just accepted it. Next surgery though - I'm going to be asking questions! At least I know the 2 work for while I'm in the hospital.

Fortunately I do feel well enough now to not miss the meds. I'm actually worried about having so much extra stuff around the house when I've got a formerly addicted DH here too. I have hid it all and will be keeping it well hid until I'm sure I won't need anymore. I've got to have a week to be sure I don't need it at night though :)

Here's to going back to work in the morning... I'll let you all know
  • Have you ever tried Phenergan in suppository form since you have so much trouble holding down oral pain meds? I used it long ago for a 2 week long migraine and it was much better for me. What broke the pain cycle was a suppository compound mix of some old school pain med which I can't recall. Anyways, maybe this might work and don't forget to store it in the fridge. Get well soon sweetie.
  • I sure did!!! It's the only thing that worked back during my fusion - those days in the hospital were ROUGH!

Luckily, or unluckily, I have been off all my meds since Monday night.

It's been a little tough - like sleeping last night, felt like everytime I rolled over onto my back I was rolling over a pin-pricked log!
  • You are doing so well and I'm proud of you. You are much stronger than you know and I'm sure you'll get through this just fine. :)
  • Okay - so I allowed myself a pain pill today - it was a day off, I was feeling mighty sorry for myself and I had about 8 hours before I needed to go anywhere. BIG mistake!! I must not have eaten enough before taking it. I'm just barely coming out of some hefty nausea.

Sometimes I just need a big reminder that I'd rather have pain than nausea;)