Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not happy with news from Doctor

RICKRRICK Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All,

I got a long term disability form from my surgeon yesterday, the good news is he filled it out in my favor but the bad news is I am 5 1/2 weeks post surgery (neck C4-7 with bone grafts and rods from the back of my neck, I have front surgery a year ago almost to the date, C4-7 with cage, plate and 8 screws which failed due to loose plate).
He told me I could loose the neck collar and could drive a six weeks, but on this form he said I have to wear it until March 7th, no driving, no lifting, really I am to do nothing but sit. I am to have a X-Ray tomorrow and will talk with the doctor this Thursday, I will have lots of questions for him concerning the new restrictions, he did tell me this 2nd surgery will take about 3 months to recovery from and I may not ever be going back to work, just too soon to tell.

I hate waiting, I want my life back.....

• I know how frustrating recovering from spinal surgery can be, specially when you can not do the most minimal tasks, like driving.... I hate it when I had to depend on people to drive me around and to do things for me! that was a humbling experience to say the least, but it was for my own good.

So patience is going to be your best friend at this time. I have been there and done that, so I know how frustrated and angry you must feel. Just talk to the Doc, and ask him to explain to you the reasoning behind the new restrictions, maybe then you will understand why he wants you to keep laying low for a bit longer. Take care and keep the faith!

• It may be that once he got in there, things were more of a mess than he had thought, and he simply changed his mind on the restrictions to make sure you heal this time.

Since you had one unsuccessful surgery, it makes sense to do everything you can to be sure it heals this time. I couple more weeks of strict restrictions will be well worth it in the long run, if it takes care of your problem.
  • my husband had a messed up surgery on the spine and was messed up mentally from an overdose of morphine..he has not driven in 12 years..and now today he told me he wants a divorce!! Now I am facing my third spine surgery in the next month..so take it one day at a time...it could be worse!!! :-)
  • A little food for thought here...

Is it possible that your physician put tougher restrictions (than what he told you verbally) on this long term disability form to ensure that you will get the disability payments?

I would suggest that you take it very easy and baby your neck for a few more weeks. Driving seems to be such an easy thing, but it can be very hard on our necks. I rely on mirrors a lot, and do not drive in more than 2 lanes of traffic because I simply cannot move my neck well enough to be safe. Keep in mind that you are still fresh out of surgery. A whiplash would be devastating to your neck. Also, please adhere to the no lifting restriction. 10 pounds seems like no big deal, but when your neck and shoulder muscles are pulled, it becomes a big deal quickly.

I'm curious to hear what the doctor tells you after your x-ray. Please keep us posted. :)
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • My doctor office called yesterday, she said I can lift up to 15 lbs now but that is all, no driving for 6-12 more weeks, mostly just sitting and walks, I can take the collar off for a 1/2-1 hour per day and not wear it at night now. I told her about my pain not improving for the past 2 1/2 weeks, she got real quiet then said the year I went with my non fusion from the first surgery has affected this surgery and I won't know for another couple of months when this is fused before I will know what my permanent pain will be.
    I guess I just have to accept this recovery is going to be slow and wait and see what happens, I still hate being dependent on others to help me but I will behave. She said my X-Ray looked good, nothing has come loose, I was really worried about that due to some really dumb things I have done after I got home.