Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm home!

dlbettsddlbetts Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well guys- I am home! I took a HUGE walk around the hospital floor last night. It felt so good. I used a walker, but can tell that I won't need it for too long. The only complication I had was the oxycontin (sp?) they gave me made me woozy and almost pass out. I had to call the nurses past night while standing bc I thought I was going to pass out!I was getting one every 12 hours and threw up twice before narrowing it down to the meds. I LOVED the dilontin they had me on, but made sure not to take it today bc I can't have an iv at home :(

However, pain is almost nonexistent! I feel tightness and tenderness at the site when I move but my back brace helps.

Being home and walking will be my bestest recovery. I love walking around and my legs, abs, and arms are already getting a workout ;)

I'll keep ya posted!

• congratulations!!!!!! keep us posted!just dont overdo it!
  • Yes, walking is the most important thing you can do to insure a successful recovery. It not only gets freshly oxygenated blood to the source of the surgery but it stretches out the spinal nerves and helps to prevent scar tissue from attaching. Just be sure you don't overdo it in your excitement to heal! Several shorter walks each day are better than one long way. Frequency is more important than distance. Also, be sure to walk on level ground -- no inclines for the first several months.

If you keep taking pains meds, be sure to drink lots of fluids, particularly water, eat lots of fiber, fruits with peels, whole grains, etc. to prevent or minimize constipation.

And remember to rest often. You've been through a BIG surgery and it is important to give your body the chance to heal and recover.

Take good care,
  • Yay for you!!! Take it easy keep up with the walking.
  • That's great you're feeling no pain now. I hope you have a complete and speedy recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Way to go!!!! Keep up the gentle walking and feeling great.

I'm so glad to be home too! It just makes such a difference. Don't get me wrong, getting waited on hand and foot is nice, but somehow, home is always best :)

p.s. Don't forget, there are some tough days ahead, make sure you know that they are temporary and all a part of the process of healing.

• It must be lovely to be home again. A real mile stone on your road to recovery.

Have you got someone with you to help when needed?

Were you given a time that you would need support once you were home again.

Keep healing.
  • What a positive update and really encouraing. Glad things went so well and that walking is already your friend.

Keep us updated.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Sending healing wishes your way! Be patient and remember to listen to the cues your body gives you (when to rest, meds, etc)
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • My mom has been awesome! I'm staying with her at her condo since it's one level and has a walk in shower! We were able to manage a bird bath today! It felt sooooo incredible! Amazing what we take for granted when we're healthy :) I'm easing off of pain meds too- dont want an addiction and don't want withdrawals after them! I'm moving around so well with minimal pain too. Sleeping is a bit of a challenge though. My doc said do whatever is comfy, but my incision is still super swollen. So I'm thinkin that I should avoid that bc I stay leaning against stuff throughout the day already. Right now (as I type) I'm on my tummy (using my iPhone to post). It's comfy, but curious if anyone else finds it comfy?!

Initially I was scared gravity would reverse my surgery or something- hahaha! I think I'm ok though!

I'm still doing fabulous otherwise! I can say, being in good shape before surgery has proven to work wonders! My upper body strength, ab strength, and leg strength are really coming in handy!

Good night to all!

• Congrats on being home! That in itself can make a world of difference in recovery. Just remember walk walk walk. And then walk some more LOL
  • is not a good thing to do when you have a bad back. I use to be a belly sleeper but after the third spinal surgery it just feels so icky.

Congrats on your pain relief =D