Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nancynnancy Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Pain Management
Hello again Friends, I was in terrible pain so I thought a massage might be in order today. My massage therapist told me about a back therapy I have never heard of. It is called prolotherapy. I have been on long term disability, I worked in home care for ten years and basically am feeling exhausted from numerous therapies. I would appreciate any info on this treatment. Thankyou, Nancy

• Periodically this topic comes up on the board, but we never seem to have people on here who have tried it.

Prolotherapy is not supported by most medical physicians. It is considered experimental, and most mainstream doctors will tell you it is not worth the money.

Basically it is a "natural" way to treat various pains without resorting to narcotics or surgery. It is a series of injections into the muscles and tendons. This causes an inflammatory reaction which is supposed to help the body to heal on its own. You usually have a whole series of injections over a period of time. This is not for someone who has a fear of needles!

You can read about it here: http://www.prolotherapy.org/
  • Prolotherapy involves many multiple injections into muscles in an area of the body. The premise being that injecting these solutions which basically are sugar based will irritate the muscles, which will in turn cause an influx of other cells and eventually create some scar tissue which allegedly is supposed to relieve pain. I have yet to hear of any long term good outcomes from anyone who has tried it.
    I know that it is not covered by most insurances due to the fact that it is considered experimental, with no studies proving long term success.
    It is usually very expensive since you must pay for each series of injections and it is also time consuming because you must return for another series.
    I think and this is my personal opinion it is one big huge waste of money.