Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What was your recovery time?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Cervical fusion seems to be in my future. I will be seeing a neurosurgeon tomorrow. I'm wondering about how long of a hospital time and subsequent recovery time you all have experienced. It would be very helpful if you would also post what kind of procedure you underwent, if you know. Thanks in advance!

• Welcome to spine health!

I had a 3 level Cervical Disc Fusion. I actually did it out patient. I wish I'd have spent some time in the hospital but my doctor has a state of the art surgery center that the hospital doesn't have so I choice to use the center.

I was a fitness expert so I was in good shape before the surgery which helped a lot. I was surprised how much the surgery de conditioned me. I started to walk very slowly a few days after the surgery. My doctor believes walking helps with the fusing process.

My beautiful muscles melted because I was told to not lift over 3 pounds for 6 weeks and then under 10 pounds. After 4 months the weight restriction was taken away. I've been working with a PT and my body is getting strong again. I'm 5 months post surgery.

I still have discomfort but not the pain I did before the surgery. I hate taking pain pills so I have had some tough days. I stopped taking pain pills after the first week. I only use Tylenol on really tough days.

Each person recovers differently but you should be able to get an idea of how long it takes most folks by reading the posts.

I'm glad I did the surgery. The recovery is to be 1 year according to my doctor maybe even 2 years but it will be worth it. I was in a lot of pain before the surgery.

I hope things go well for you!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had a C5-C7 ACDF. I returned to my desk job at around 7 weeks post-op. My biggest suggestion - don't let yourself just sit around during recovery. When I did return to work I was miserable. Not because of my neck but I was SO deconditioned. The walk from my car to the front door of the building was exhausting. The next time I had neck surgery I got on my treadmill starting around day 10 after surgery (with doctor's approval). I started at 5 minutes the first day. Then about 5 days later I went to 6 minutes and then added 1 minute a day from that point forward.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos