Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ok now i'm totally confused!

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
i got the report today from my physio therapy assessment with the insurance co. this guy reported that i had less sensation in my left leg then my right, said that all my extremeties were strong,said that my gait was normal and that when he examined my upper extremeties it revealed positive signs for thoracic outlet bilaterally.He said that he thought the car accident aggravated a pre-existing condition in my upper and lower back. So therefore it was not reasonable to continue my therapy. BUT when i had my assessment from the occupational therapist a few weeks ago she got out her tape measurer and instruments and did her own measurements and told me that my right arm which is my arm that i use most was weaker then my left arm and that my left left was weak when she was having me balance myself.So which is it am i strong or am i weak?Seems like the insurance co. has two different positions going on there.I guess its time to show my lawyer the report and have him decide what the next step is.I still have to see there orthopedic surgeon and there neurologist.Both are at the end of the month.

• Tammy,

Sounds like a big mess. Where you diagnosed with the back issues prior to the car accident? Which one of those exams came first? Were both of those working for the insurance company? Do you have the notes from the physical therapist, not just what she told you? As what has been written could be different than what has been said to you face to face. I do hope your attorney is able to help you as well.
  • One big mess your right.Both of these people work for the insurance co. and have different points of few lol #o I think that may play in my favour.But i haven't see the occupational therapists report yet just the physios.The TOS no one has ever told me about prior to this guy.I've seen mulitiple doctors before and after my car accident and no one mentioned anything like that too me.My massage therapist had told me many times that he thought that my shoulder and arm muscles were weak and that my hips were weak.Having the occupational therapist say that to me just proved what he's been saying.Before the car accident i had just had the surgery on my neck which my neurosurgeon told me that was causing all my symptoms to that point. After the surgery the back pain and hip and leg and arm pain had gone away. When i started therapy i did have some nerve pain come back at first but i saw a accupuncturist and she resolved the pain and got me off all my pain meds. I wasn't taking anything for almost two months prior to the accident. Once i had the accident my muscles tightened up three fold and pain set in my back and hip area.Its slowly worked its way down my legs and totally moved around my ribs and into my stomach area. My massage therapist says that even my stomach muscles have tightened up. But this therapist that i saw put in his report that i was fine except for the TOS and that therapy wasn't warranted and that i was as good as i was going to get. What a crock of crap.I can't wait to see the look on my massage therapists face when i tell him what he report said.The physio didn't mention anything about my muscles in the report at all. it was all about my joints and range of motion. For some reason i have better range of motion then most people and my massage therapist and physical therapist told me that even after my accident i did.But they said that was worse because it puts more strain on my muscles to keep my joints in place.
  • Tammy C,

I was in a car accident in 06 I had neck surgery. But it didn't fussed,so in 07 I had another one 16 screws and two plates in my neck. That surgery made it worse, My neck & back have really bad burning and shooting sharp pain, Like someone is stabbing my with a ICEPICK. I can't take anymore. I do to pain management. I am on SOOOOOOOOOOO many meds. Still nothing works. I spoke with my Doctor and he said their is nothing will help me. I can't believe there is nothing out there!!! Day in and day out I'm in pain. Pain is in my neck,shoulder,back,arms,hands,fingers,toes,joints,muscles,numbness,tiggling and muscles spasms. All these happened after my second surgery. If you have the same problem.Please let my know.

• A year ago I lived in a protected world that knew nothing about car accident injuries.

First Karen you need new doctors. YOur surgeon is an Edited and the pain med doctors are stringing you along. THat's my feeling. Of course there are options. This is 2010. Get another opinion.

Tammy oh you poor girl. I know your pain. The doctors who work for the insurance companies are just that- on the payroll of the insurance company. THey get paid alot of money to be experts.

When I had this accident my company called and said I had $175,000 in coverage for doctors and lost work. Well I have had to fight for almost every penny so far. Two days after surgery my lawyer is worried because my herniation may be qualified as a ostyophyte. He says that would be suspicious because they grow over years. Well I never had a problem before the accident so I guess I calcify quickly - got milk??

Turn it over to your lawyer but remember to question them as well. YOu remember my first lawyer who told me 6 months ago that my case was over.

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc for inappropriate language
  • I hope that doesn't happen with out.Isn't there reasons why osteophytes grow faster.such as trauma! My insurance co. called me a few days ago and offered me a settlement.I was quite surprised since i still had two more assessments to go through. He said that he would wait a week for an answer and if he hadn't heard from me he would call back. I already talked to my lawyer and he said not to take it that there offer was petty. I understand that he wants me to get as much as he thinks i can but i just want this all over with so that i can concentrate on getting myself better. He told me to try and get back to my neurosurgeon for another examination and see if he will say that i was healing fine after the surgery and that the car accident has caused the problems that i'm having now. I know that he has already told me that,whether or not he's put it in a report to my doctor i can't say. My doctor has never read any of my surgeons reports to me. I was considering going to a naturopath to see if a new pair of eyes on the situation can give me some help.I know that my doctor isn't forthcoming with anything and i just can't take anymore problems with her at this point. The only thing is if i go that direction we only have so much coverage and it may end up costing me a lot of money for the testing she may want to do to figure out whats happening with me.
  • DOn't take it. You arent even close to a settlement. Until you know what is wrong and what it will take to fix you can't even think about money.

In NY I know you have one year to file a lawsuit. Make sure your lawyer has done any filings necessary in time. After that it can sit for years as you work out the medical side.

I know I want it done also and the money would be nice but what do you do when the check is gone and you still have problems?
  • I know i talked to my lawyer and he said that the offer was way to low. Thats what i keep hearing that i'm not fixed,but how am i supposed to get better if i'm cut off from all my therapies,thats not helping me get better at all its just making stay the way i am. I really couldn't care less about how much money i can get,i just want to get better and go forward.Whats wrong with that. I didn't ask to get hit by a car why should i have to pay physically and money wise too. I was just an innocent person that happened to be in the car.
  • Hopefully the reports will all be different. THen they will have to continue paying for docs and treatments.

Back a few months ago before I found out that my herniation was confirmed I thought I had TOS. The symptoms are very similar.

If the reports are as crazy as they seem so far I would ask for a complete reassessment head to toe. Just because you feel something in one spot doesnt mean that is your true or only source of the pain. Also don't let them play the pre-existing crap. Yeah you had a problem before but you were better.

Remember if you settle they stop paying for doctors. Any settlement money will run out very quickly after that.
  • i talked to my lawyer and he said that everyone has some kind of injury at some point in there life and is a pre existing injury and the physio said that the car accident made the injury worse which in his eyes means that the insurance co. is still liable for any damages .So far so good!! i'll keep you up to date,i don't have the other assessments until the 25th and26th. My lawyer wants me to try and get back in to see my neurosurgeon and take the report with me and see if he'll say that his surgery was a success and the physio is wrong in what he's saying about the accident.I called this morning but haven't heard back from them yet. I dont' even know if i can get back in by myself without my doctors help because i was discharged in october.