Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEWLY DIAGNOSED CSS & DDD - looking for answers..pls help

shashasshasha Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Spinal Stenosis
About 6 years ago I started getting problems, chest/back muscle spasms, breathing problems, electric shock pains into chest/back, problems with bladder/bowels. My doc put it down to IBS, depression and anxiety. I knew it wasn't depression as i love life, so over the years the symptoms have got worse, tingling down my back, then into my legs and arms. Pins and needles/numbness, more sever breathlessness, lack of body temperature control (when i get hot it makes me feel sick). In October my blood pressure dropped to 80/60 and stayed like it for a week, my doctor did all bloods and everything was negative so the admitted me to hospital. While i was in there, i had two episodes of (it was like electricity) shooting from my neck right down into my feet (like a high building being blown by dynamite), my legs went from underneath me, and i lost the use of my right side. That evening the same thing happened but is thime the shock stopped in the base of my spine. After that i could not even stand on my feet because of weakness in my legs.I had an M.R.I. and a lumbar puncture. i got the results yesterday, the lumbar puncture was negative, but the results are degenerative disc disease,with cervical spine left foraminal stenosis - sever C5-C6 and moderate C6-C7, there is a non specific high signal within the cervical cord at C6. This is now 11 weeks later I still have weakness in my right leg, i managed to start walking with a stick, pain in my lower lumbar region (though nothing has been mentioned on the report and puzzles me), weakness from my neck down my shoulders and into my hands (more so on the right side), body temperature problems, can't use or feel the need to use my bowels and breathlessness. Its scaring me. Last nite i was in much pain (i kind of ache from my neck down to my feet 24 hours a day) and again twice my right leg went from underneath me and my daughter had to pick me up from the floor. They sais there is no evidence of cord compression or disk buldge, i haven't been seen since i left hospital in October and am awaiting to see a neurologist, but why if the stenosis is on the left side am i getting alot of the problems with my right side.. and why are my bowel and toileting a problem. Does anyone know what a high signal in cord at C6 mean and is it normal to get breathing problems with cervical stenosis. Why am i getting lower back pain constantly if it is in the cervical spine, is it normal for my legs to go weak and give in on me. Does it affect your blood pressure. I know it is alot of questions but i am totally in the dark with this and only found out yesterday from my G.P. who gave me the report but said he couldn't go into it with me and has referred me back to to the hospital. I would so appriciate any help and advise, because this is destressing me and my children because we dont know the answers. Will it get better. Please help.....sharon

• I am definetely not a medical professional so I can not give you concrete answers to your questions, but it sounds like you need to call your Doctor and get him to help you with your issues.
    When it comes to BP, chronic pain usually increases your BP, it does not make it lower, so I truly don't know why that is happening to you.

When is your next Doctor's appointment? Did he give you a referral to a Neurosurgeon or to a pain management Doctor? It sounds to me like you need to go see an NS to help you with your cervical and maybe lumbar issues that you are having. If I was in your shoes, I would be calling the Doctor and getting to see him ASAP. You can not live like this! You can not live without answers and solutions to your problems, so is time to start pushing your Doctor's into helping you.

I wish you luck and I hope that they can help you sooner than later. Take care,

P.S. - Another thing.... having bowel/bladder issues, specially if it is incontinence, it is considered a medical emergency (Cauda Equina Syndrome). So if you are having those kind of issues, please go see your Doc or go to the ER ASAP.