Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Office Chair

lvee0874llvee0874 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am 2 yrs post l4/l5 discectomy. I have very minimal pain for the most part, but there are still certain things that cause me pain. Sitting in certain chairs seem to be the cause of my pain these days.

I am in need of some serious advice relating to my workplace. I have been an employee in a small company (18 people) for two years; I started the position less than 3 weeks post op. I have had no issues with the chair I have, until today.

We recently remodeled the entire building, and with that came new furniture. I attempted to use the new chairs, and had to go back to my previous chair within 4 hours. I was told today that I will be using the new chair starting tomorrow, no matter if I like it or not. I explained to them that I am unable to sit in the new chair due to pain, and was told I will learn to deal with it.

I am so upset. Because they want the entire area uniform, I will be in pain. I do not know what to do. Are there any laws surrounding this sort of issue? I would like to think that our labor laws would stop this sort of thing from happening, but I am not having any luck locating anything on the net relating to this.

They are very aware that I am a back surgery patient. I do not know how to deal with the thought that I will be in pain tomorrow. I am already in tears and I am no where near the chair.

• Go to your HR. They cannot mandate you use a certain chair b/c it's fashionable.

Sorry they are not understanding.
    I'm 4 months poas op and headed for revision microdiscectomy. I completely understand the chair thing. Luckily my company takes ergonomics seriously.

I had them come look at my set up and I got a new chair. I can tell you the kind if you want to know (I just have to wait until I log in tomorrow to look up make/model).

There are certain conference room at work with chairs I absolutely cannot sit in. I have to either wheel my chair in or stand b/c within 5-15 mins I'm in pain.

If your HR will not assist, I would get a doctor's note to say that you require a special chair that is ergonomically supportive for your back condition.

The company is unacceptable. If they will not help you, talk to HR. If your Human Resource Manager will not help you, I would contact your state disability department or Department of Labor and ask them how to proceed. I know it seems like a hastle but I would press the issue.

On the side...I wish I was at your office b/c I would just go in and Laugh at them. If you are in the USA, there are certain rights you have and a chair that doesn't bring you pain is one of them.

So sorry for the ignorance of some people that you have to deal with.
  • if you are asking for a leather reclining couch, that might be pressing your luck (LOL...just had to put that here as a joke)
  • Would it be possible to get a lumber support cushion to help? It's amazing how they think one kind of chair fits all people. I hope it works out for you. Let us know. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    Spine-Health has a vast library of articles regarding Ergonomics

Take a look at this post thread:
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It Britain health and safety laws required an employer to make “reasonable adjustment” to cater for those with specific needs or face the notion of discriminating against an individual. Although it may seem inconsequential to your employer to you this is a big issue.

Are you in a union, seek some clarification as to what your rights are and as said, it is not as if you are asking for something unreasonable, the H & S Act here mandates that we provided a safe working environment for ourselves and we become our own safety officer and to that extend have a duty of care to ourselves and could be targeted for working in an unsafe manner. Keep evidence of time and letters or contacts, write to your employer formally notifying them of your current need and keep a copy.

Do you have any evidence from your doctor or sick record that might support your desire, do you have a designated safer officer for the company or building, it is some times the case that we have to disclose our condition for the need of some adjustment and follow the advice Dnice mentioned appropriate to provision. Did they know of your condition when you initially started and do personnel have any record of you specific need?

Take care and good luck. John.

This discussion has been closed.