Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another Cervical Fusion Feb 4th

retiredbosnrretiredbosn Posts: 71
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just got home from the surgeon's office. Will be undergoing another cervical fusion, this one will only be c7-t1, which will bring my total fusion from c5-t1. I am looking forward to the surgery and hoping that it brings lasting relief. Oh anterior approach, I think that he will only be able to use spacers, I am assuming cages, as there isn't room in c7 for more screws. Wish me luck and say a prayer. Pray for my family especially as I'm grumpier than usual and they are having to do my chores around the house and now take care of me during recovery.

• Howdy Retired,

I will probably be going down the same road in the near future. Please keep us posted on how it goes. I too if this is done will be fused from C5/6/7/T1. I hope all goes well with you.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sounds like you've got a good attitude - well, kind of ;) We'll be sending the family lots of good happy thoughts too.

Keep posting, let us know how it goes and best of luck.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Best of Luck to you. I had one ACDF and am guessing I may face another within a few years (they probably should have included C4 as it was starting to show problems but I, like them, figured it was too soon). At least the anterior approach is less painful than the posterior. Healing wishes being sent your way.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks everyone, this will be my fourth surgery. T1-T2 is also herniated but we are not messing with it at this time. I just hope it doesn't start causing problems.
  • Hi, I was reading your posts about your having more surgery and wanted to ask if you will get a chance to find out before your surgery how they will do the addtl fusion. I have had C5/6 fused this past June, then had to have that plate removed in August and they fused C4/5/6 with a longer plate. I had relief in my arms and hands, but have continued to have horrible spasms and pain in my shoulders and upper back between the blades. Now my surgeon is saying he can do another surgery to plate C6/7 with diagonal screws and not have to remove the other plate. My C6/7 is showing up in xrays as bone on bone. At first he kept saying it would self-fuse, but now he's ready to do something for me after I've applied for my long term disability at work and a retirement.

I can't find much on addons to other hardware or anything about diagonal screws being used in vertebras that already have straight on screws. I'm all concerned about my bone splitting or ending up with more problems and want to find out as much as possible before I consent to more surgery.

What type of pain/symptoms are you having with your C7/T1? I had an MRI that said my C7/T1 is bulging so I'm wondering if C6/7 is all I really need. My surgeon is very conservative as was my lumbar surgeon costing me 4 surgeries already too. They don't seem to want to do more than one at a time or the insurance is holding things up...I don't know.

I hope you do well with your surgery. Let me know if you find out what hardware you are getting and how it will be put in with what you already have. Is your other fused areas all plated together with one plate or do you already have more than one plate?
  • C7-T1 systems in the extremeties affect the last two fingers on your hands, the pinky and ring finger. Mine is also causing my forearms to spasm and actually twist my wrist over. Upper back spasms between the blades and through the muscle over the collar bone. As far as hardware from what I understand he will be using something like cervical cages as there isn't room in C7 to place any more screws. He isn't removing the hardware from the first fusion. He did say there was an add on type of plate but due to the screw location they wouldn't work. Hope this helps, will update after my surgery.
  • I haven't had my neck worked on YET (its a total mess from c3-c7).

However, I did have an "add on" to my lumbar fusion. First fusion was a PLIF with rods and screws, from L2-L4. The most recent surgery was L4-S1. This time it was done from the front with a plate, screws and cages, so its kind of looks like a sloppy "s" from the side x-rays.

Don't know if this was any help to you, best wishes, Lisa