Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

this and that from texascowgirl

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
there is nothing particular addressed in this post-but I look on this site as a diary where you can express yourself--I am not big on journaling so I don't keep one---this is day 12 from ant/post spinal fusion.I am coping much better than I did 2 years ago.I think:1)I knew abit what to expect, and 2)I have not had the awful complications.I walk everyday---not so much outside until the last few days--I know you Northerners will curse me---but it has been unusually cold for Texas,and this body isnt used to it!Yesterday I walked around part of property and garden,and I was pooped,but so glad I did it.I have been doing small things in the kitchen,folding laundry,etc,but my husband does most-he has been a jewel.My dog Buster sticks with me-I made a "red-cross"kerchief for his neck and he is very proud.---I thought I would be going great guns on art projects,but so far I have just looked at them--and thats it.I have been trying to make the pain med last until Thursday,which is my first surgeon visit.I am going to have to call this morning,because I am going to come up just short. Yesterday I had an Official Texascowgirl Mini-Meltdown,when I started crying because I am so tired of wearing the support stockings,and I was tired of sitting in my favorite chair(?).So I took some med,and felt better--I also know it is the pain med that can make you weepy,but just not ready to let go of that yet.Yes,getting out of bed is the worse---we have been talking alot about this on here--but it does get better--I don't groan as much!I tied a robe sash to both sides of my headboard,I use them to grab and turn myself over---maybe after this I will not have old lady arms (yuk)I hope everyone has a peaceful day-at whatever stage you are at-today IS a new day!

• Hey, watch your language. There are some "old ladies" on the board and we don't all have "old lady" arms.

But seriously, it sounds like you are making good progress. Bundle up and get out there and walk. It is the best way to insure a strong fusion and nerves that are not entrapped in scar tissue. The bracing air will be good for the spirit.

Keep a positive attitude, as much as you can, as it really does help with your healing. By the time your weather warms up, you'll be ready to enjoy it.

Take good care,

• thank you gwennie! Posting on here really helps with keeping positive,doesnt it!Yesterday when I walked I put on my "Nanook of the North" coat,a Hudson Bay coat that was my mom's and is just about as old as I am---I think it was 50 degrees--geez---you are right--just get up and show up!----you are sure going through alot,how are you?
  • I discovered that after moving from a subtropical island in Japan to one in the San Juans, that I wind up wearing a heavy coat when others are in a long sleeved shirts. I found that I just have to do whatever necessary to stay comfortable when outside. It is so peaceful and emotionally uplifting to get out and walk even if it is a bit cold and rainy.

• true! and I love being outside--just had to push myself!
  • Okay, I'm a northerner lol, and I'd give my right arm right now for 50 degrees. Nanook of the north coat on a 50 degree day, nahhhh, I'd be in a hoodie with a t-shirt underneath lol.

Sounds like you are doing great! Meltdowns are common after major surgery so don't worry about that. I walk around the house from room to room for exercise, too much snow and ice on the roads and sidewalks here. My cat thinks its great, chases me all around or hides around the corner to jump me lol. I'm also starting pool therapy again which I love. Have you tried that before?

Best wishes,

• I tested out my new runners Sketchers shape ups and they're so comfy and they add 2" to my height. But I still took it fairly slow with the snow on the roads. It's brutally cold here. I laughed when I read about the cat hiding around the corner to jump on you My kitten just did that to me today and scared the goodness out of me.
    Texas Cowgirl I think it's really good to journal your feelings it seems to lift that heaviness off you. Today is a new day and wishing you less pain as the days go by and hope it gets warmer out too. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 50 would be 40 degrees warmer than it is here today!

My son is in grad. school in Austin. He called the first day when the temp got down to about 60 and all the coeds showed up on campus in their cute little down-filled puffer coats! I think he was still wearing shorts and sandals. Guess it's all you get used to...I don't think the blood really gets thinner, does it??
  • Oh lucky you. I wish it was 50 outside when I go walking. We went and bought ski warm up pants just to protect our legs. We already have down parkas. When I go walking at night my wife has started walking with me. It's been about 25 degrees without wind chill. We walk about 1.5 miles. That rounds out my day. I can't wait to go walking in just a long sleeve shirt.

I don't stop going outside because of the cold. You can always add layers. I stop in summer when it is 90-100 degrees outside. You can only strip down so much...
  • That robe sash idea is fab! Wish I'd thought of it!
  • good nel! I am glad I helped!
  • I can't believe it - after all the being up yesterday, walking in and outside, guess what I did today...

I slept until after noon! I was OUT. Barely registered DH and daughter leaving for school and work. Got up long enough for a bathroom trip, got back in bed, opened a book (Lost Symbol) and next thing I know... I was out again.

In my defense, I was dreaming that I was awake and reading still. Boy, I sure got far in that book - the whole story was played out... Yeh, right - I'd only actually read less than one line! LOL!!

All that and no medication to blame either. Late last night was my last dose of meds. I've got to make sure I'm ready to go to work tomorrow.

Okay - I've got to take some inspiration from here and go for a walk before it gets too dark here. Cold or not - I'm sure I'll feel more clear headed if I get out and get some fresh air :)
  • erp - double post here.

I really need that fresh air!!!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I totally get the post surgery mini meltdown. I actually kind of fear that more than the surgery. I know in the hospital I'll be smothered by care and medications. But in previous surgeries I've had those mini meltdowns when you are right after the immediate post surgical period and kind of "stuck" in pain and recovery. Best of luck to you!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • This weather has been to cold for me, I ache when I get out in it. Its funny because I grew up in NJ where it got really cold in the winter and stayed that way all winter, When I first moved here, I laughed when I saw people bundled up like there was a blizzard when it dropped below 65,but I have been a TX transplant now for 28 years now and I just cant take the cold anymore. Of course being anemic doesnt help. The good news is I think warmer days are on the way :)
    Feel better everyone, and keep warm.
    May God bless and keep you... warm,