Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well it is finally that time

ceecee41cceecee41 Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am getting ready to finally have my back surgery on 20 Jan but I wanted to say I am having so much pain in the middle of my back that it is almost unbearable but because surgery is next week I don't want to go to the Emergency Room and the leg pain is crippling. Can anyone give me some advice or has this happen to anyone here?

• I am sorry to hear that you are having so much pain. I just went through a similar experience with the pain being so intense three weeks ago. I did make it to the ER only to wake up the next day unable to walk or stand. I then called my doctor. My doctor immediately admitted me to the hospital and performed surgery the next day. It took me three hours to get from my bed to the hospital to be admitted (I only live 5 minutes away from the hospital) because of the pain, but once I was there my pain was monitored and managed. Have you contacted your doctor to see if there is anything that can be done to help you? Maybe he/she could admit you to the hospital early. Waiting a week in terrible pain is awful. Take care, and I hope you feel better soon!
  • Yes Ceecee please go to the ER if the pain is out of control. Put a call into your NS/OS first & let him/her know (they all have answering services).

Good luck,

• Thanks so much I went to the Emergency room and of course they gave me medicine to control my pain and I am going in the morning to see my doctor and he will decide if he will admit me early I hope so because I have pain in my groin area I am ok right now because of the pain medicine still in my system but it is quickly wearing off and I am feeling some of the pain coming back. I want to thank you for your concern.
  • Thanks so much julie I went to er so will see doctor in the morning it is awful the pain thanks for the advice.
  • I'm glad you went to ER because the pain was out of control. I hope you have some meds to help. Try warm bath or shower if you can to relax the muscles or some warm moist heat if you have a hot washcloth in a baggie and wrap in towel or pillowcase for a few minutes may help. I hope your Dr. gives you something to help until your surgery or takes you in sooner. Take care and sending up a prayer. O:) Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks so much charry It is so hard playing the waiting game the pain gets so unbearable thanks alot for you concern and prayers.
  • I hope you've been to the dr. by now and have some answers...

(((hugs and prayers for you)))
  • how are you doing since your surgery I am still in pain they gave me pain medicine I am just going to just wait it out I don't want to keep going back and forth because I know what the problem is so keep me in your prayers wednesday is fast approaching
  • I really feel for you. Maybe the meds they gave you will help you hang on for a few more days. I remember the day before my double fusion that I was in so much pain I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance. I was on the couch and could not move up or down or sideways. I was just frozen and any movement made the pain shoot into a million directions. I seriously contemplated an ambulance for the first time in my life. Somehow I made it to the shower and that's how I survived. Crying and showers and meds. Just hang onto the hope that this surgery brings. I was told to breath deeply and try to focus on good things. Do whatever you have to do to get through the next 30 minutes. I think a lot of us have been in your shoes and I know that I do understand your pain. I wish you didn't have to experience it. At least there is the surgery and your long path is now to a place where you may find relief. Good luck. It's okay to express yourself here, it does help a little.
  • That is very comforting for me shannon because I hurt so bad I want to call the ambulance the medicine is wearing off and the pain is coming back with a vengence so I will be taking a sleeping pill so I can rest tonight It is so tough I find myself crying all the time So your words have really encouraged me thanks so much.
  • Ceecee, im so sorry you have to feel this! I pray you get some relief and time flies by for you and wed will be here sooner than later!
  • Thank you so much I appreciate the encouragement because it is just so aggravating to be in so much pain and it seems like the pain has gotten worst about 2 weeks ago and I can't hardly walk at times and I see my nerve in my left leg jumping so bad so keep me in my prayers.
  • I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain, wish you could skip to wed. Did they put you on any steroids? Maybe too close to surgery that they don't want to do that. Have you ever done yoga breathing? I found that very effective with anxiety issues after my last back surgery, it's just a distraction to focus on your sound of your breath and try to take mind off pain. I hope you can get some sleep tonight. Lynette
  • Thanks lynette I am going to take a sleeping pill and forget this day ever happened it has been very challenging so thanks for all the encouragement we have to stick together I thank god for this forum it helps me through alot I will keep you posted I will have my laptop with me in the hospital to give updates. My surgery is scheduled for wed at 720am I have to be at the hospital at 5am.
  • Who will be helping you after your surgery? have you been able to get things ready with all this pain? I still have 2 months and I have a list a mile long that I want to get done before surgery. Did you have to see a neurologist pre op? I think something to do with the nerve monitoring during surgery. Hopefully you are sound asleep and pain free by now!! Lynette

• Hope you feel better tomorrow.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Just wanted to see how you are doing Ceecee

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • My pain is out the roof but needless to say will not go back to ER due to surgery in 2 days when I shower the hot water hits my leg and back and I scream in pain it is awful and real bad pain in my groin area just keep me in your prayers I will have my laptop with me at the hospital to let you guys know how I am doing. Thanks for your concern.
  • Ceecee, and you will be the other side of surgery and on the way to recovery.
    Praying for you
  • I was worried about you, hadn't seen you post in a few days. Have been thinking about you. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted . Lynette
  • Hey there. You have been on my mind too. Just get through tonight and tomorrow and then they will fix it. Drink lots of water, juice and gatorade tomorrow so you are really hydrated for the big day. My thoughts are with you and I really hope you get relief. This is what you have been waiting for and hopefully it will be the beginning of your days with much less pain. Hang tough.
  • I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted to me because it has been a long journey and it is almost over and I want to thank everyone because the pain has been awful but I have 2 more days and I will be on the other side of the tracks letting someone else know how my recovery is I will stay posting. Sorry haven't been on my pain has been so bad I take meds and stay in the bad and get up and take a walk around the block to keep my circulation up. So keep me in your prayers I will post on the following day of my surgery. Love you all
  • .....my 3 level ACDF is Thursday at 9:30am and then, I also will be on the other side of the tracks! Wishing you a paian-free awakening from surgery. (Old pain that is, there will be some new "discomfort" associated with the surgery itself.) Stay optimistic. All will be better!
  • CeeCee,

I hope you surgery is guick and successful. I am sorry you have been in so much pain. Only people that have been thru that really understand. My prayers to you and your surgical team.

• Thank so for your concern I will have my laptop with me on hand so I will be checking on you ok God bless you and hope all will go well and we will be on the otherside soon good luck
  • The encouraging words of everyone here has helped me to make it this far and I don't know how I would have made it without the constant advice and encouragement thanks so much will talk to you guys on thursday.
  • When I was in your shoes, the day before surgery, this site helped me hold it together. Advice gathered here from people who had gone this path before me, helped immensely. Heck, I still use some of the breathing techniques when I get really riled up. Breath and picture somewhere tranquil...that's what I was told. It actually works some. At the hospital, after surgery, when you lay there for hours half in and half out of awake, I listened to soothing music made especially to relax you and uplift your spirit. Birds chirping, waterfalls, the ocean, that kind of stuff. It really helped my mind while my body was in such pain.

Can't wait to hear from you after tomorrow. I'm pulling for you and so are lots of other folks. Good luck to you as well, BigG. Ya'll two will be in my thoughts and I send you thoughts of peace.
  • And even after surgery I will be apart of spine-health because I want to share my experience with someone else going through it has been a long road but I am so grateful for people like yourself and just everyone who had a encouraging word for me I am tearing up as I write this .This place has inspired to go on because the different situations have really strengthen me alot so kudos to everyone who has gone through back surgery or going to go through it. God bless
  • Dear Ceecee-have not posted to you before but have been reading your struggle to get to your surgery date. Big Loves to you and I'm sure many peoples thoughts and good wishes go with to surgery. Just wanted to wish you Giant Hugs n' loves - Paula
  • Thanks so much Winkie I appreciate the encouragement it will help me to make it before surgery and after.