Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

depression and anemia

mommatialuvmmommatialuv Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
I called my surgeon last week to ask for some antidepressants, the PA told me they dont give them and to see my PCP, she recommended a complete physical also.

I saw my PCP yesterday and she gave me some antidepressants and said they should kick in in a week or 2.She took 3 tubes of blood and some urine for labs. Her office called today to tell me that I am extremely anemic (iron) and that my b12 was on the very low end of normal.

When I had my fusion on 8/31 the neurologist that was seeing me told me that my b12 was "dangerously low" and gave me B12 shots every day that I was there, I have been taking sublingual liquid b12 daily every since discharge.

PCP's nurse said they were waiting for more lab results and would call me tomorrow to let me know if I should just start on Iron or if she would be referring me to a hematologist, and to keep taking my b12.

I am supposed to see my surgeon tomorrow but may have to re-schedule as my babysitter has a sick child and may not be able to keep Damion. We will see in the morning.

I am excited, my nieces have volunteered to come over Friday and help me paint. All of my walls are white, and I need a splash of color,(spanish Olive,on a few walls) plus I love it when they can visit :)

I hope you all are healing well, Gwennie, I hope to get an update from you, I know you had a lot planned pre holidays.
May God bless and keep you,

• Sorry you've been depressed and had to go on anti-depressants. I was depressed for a couple of months, especially in the early stages of recovery, and especially when I had to go off the Oxycodone, but I did get through it. The "four walls syndrome" doesn't help either.

Do you eat meat? I find I have low energy when I don't eat it. After I finished all my pre-cooked meals, I couldn't be bothered cooking and didn't feel as good as I had done. I'm fine now that I cooked a big casserole. If you don't eat meat, then starting on iron would be a good start.

Yes, you'll enjoy having your nieces help you with the painting and a bit of colour on some of the walls will give you a lift too.

Hope you'll be feeling well again soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • an awesome idea to paint!!!!!!!!!!I have painted murals on our walls---I have painted pictures of our animals-dog,donkeys,goats,---a painting of myself walking into the sunset with all my gran--dchildren,a Native American Mother Earth------I have a pink bathroom,an orange kitchen,etc......my whole point is COLOR MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!keep us posted on the decor-------I guess I should qualify---I have done these over the years,not post surgery----it would be nice to feel like it,but I will!
  • Yes I love meat, have always been a meat and potatoes kind of girl. :) My problem most likely stems from my gastric bypass surgery in 04. I had to have and Iron Infusion (IV) in 06, they said it should last about 10 years but apparently not. My body does not absorb iron like a normal person due to the surgery. The B12 problem is new, but also possibly from the Gastric Bypass surgery. I also have hypoglycemia which they are now attributing to my gastric bypass, unstable glucose as well as low b12 can cause nerve problems, which I cant seem to get rid of since my fusion. Are the related in my case... the jury is still out on that one :)
    I did have to re schedule my surgeon appt for next week, I will present him with all my new lab findings,hopefully he will communicate with my PCP and see if we can somehow put all the pieces of this puzzle together to make me whole again :)
    Thanks again for responding,
    May God bless and keep you,
    PS. Gwennie, I saw your update on another thread, I pray you are doing OK, Please let me know what you find out about the possible arachnoiditis, I have been reading up on it, seems that there is a connection between it and excessive scar tissue adhearing to the nerves. Many docs kind of blow it off, mine always says "scar tissue is always normal" which I know is true, but I know that at some point for some people it becomes excessive and a problem. I will be praying for you.
  • Sounds like you are super creative and talented. I'm pretty creative, just not talented. lol. I cant wait to have the color though, then I want to start hanging pictures, that much talent I have :). I want to have one wall dedicated just for "family photos". Its going to be a fun project. Something to fill time and make me feel better.
  • Hope the antidepressants kick in and start helping. Again another part of the pain cycle. It helps to focus on something so that's why your painting project is great!
  • My PCP is going to call the Hematologist herself to get me in asap for an iron infusion or a blood transfusion. The Hematologist will decide which one I need. I should hear within a couple of hours.
    Wish me luck,
    Thanks, Shirley
  • I went to the hematologist yesterday, he decided that based on my labs (Hemoglobin 7.3, he said should be around 14 since I had a hysterectomy, and Serum Iron level <10 should be at least 40) I needed a transfusion and Iron infusion. He sent me straight to OP admitting for 2 units of blood and will begin Iron infusions next Friday. I will go 2 or 3 Fridays for about 2-3 hours each time for the infusions. I have to say a little oxygen circulating in your body can make a big difference :), I still have all my pain's, and my body is tired, But my head is out of the fog.(Sorry if any of my responses sounded you know, foggy :) ) I feel like I am thinking clearly for the first time in weeks, even on all my meds.
    I am glad I had to re-schedule my surgeon appt to next week, I feel like I will be able to explain my pain's better now, as opposed to just saying, I feel like crap, I have many pains and 000 energy. I want to sleep ALL of the time(go figure lol).
    Well as always, thanks for listening, I will update you after I see the surgeon on Wednesday.
    May God Bless and Keep you,
  • Happy you are feeling a bit better. Keep us posted as to what the surgeon says. Do you think the anti depressants are helping? What did they start you on if I may ask?

All the best.
  • WOW!! What a difference the infusion has made!

I have to say I've been comparing my post or fusion experience with my post op hardware removal a lot lately. I had to have 2 units of blood after my fusion - and yes, you get so OUT of it and can you say tired!??!

Do post after your next apt - it will be interesting to see waht you doc says.
  • Feel free to ask me anything :) I am taking generic Celexa 20mg daily, I take it at night because like all my meds, it makes me sleepy. Hard to say for sure if it is helping or if the blood just has me feeling better. My PCP said I should see a difference in a couple of weeks. I know the transfusion really helped clear my head and increased my energy a good bit. I had watched the football game today then had Damions' 5th birthday party at Chuck-e-cheese, that kicked my butt, but he and the guests had a blast. Hubby and adult kids did all the "running" after the kids, I basically sat at the table the whole time, but I was still really hurting when I got home.
    God bless and keep You,
  • Using the word tired to describe how I felt would be like describing a tornado like rain. You know, you needed blood.
    I was thinking it was all because of my meds building up in my system, it is a real relief to know that I can take my meds and not feel like a zombie all the time, dont get me wrong, they still make me sleepy, but I can think.
    Thanks for the support, I'll post after I see my surgeon in Wednesday,
    God bless and keep You,
  • I finally found you. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, especially with your inquiries about me. Thanks for your concern. You are very sweet to think of others when you have all your own problems to contend with!

I did survive all my company and the holidays, but just barely. For a little while I thought I might be spending Christmas in the hospital, I was in so much pain...but I managed to get things calmed down a bit and was able to make it through. I had various people coming and going from 21 Dec. to 8 Jan. and it really got to be a bit too long. I haven't cooked that many meals in a row, day after day, in years. I'd almost forgotten how to do it.

I am meeting with my surgeon tomorrow...should be my last appointment before I have a 3 level fusion. I finally feel like I have explored all my options, and I guess I am at peace with my decision. Since we're not really sure what is causing my nerve pain, it is a bit of a gamble, but no one has anything else to suggest, so I guess it is worth the try.

I haven't set a date yet...will probably do that tomorrow. I don't feel like there is a big rush since I've been like this since my fusion two years ago today. I'm thinking the first week of March. By the time I feel up to it, the roads should be cleared of ice and snow and the weather will still be cold, but better than it is now!!

I hope all your new blood will help resolve some of your problems. Now that I know where to find you, I will check back to see your reports.

Take good care,