Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

anyone understand hypertrophic scars?????

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. I saw my ortho surgeon today. There are a few concerns...firstly is the clumsiness. I was thinking that it was because of the meds or just crazy happenings for me....3 knocks to the head in 2 months. Not just little bumps but serious knocks.

He put me on Flexeril because my muscles are painful and tight. I'm to see him next week when he might send me for a CT scan.

the other deal is that he is concerned about the trouble with this "hypertrophic" scar slowing the healing. Can't really find anything online about this.

anyone have any knowledge???? Gwennie maybe??? ha ha...

I see him next week so I guess I'll know more than too.

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I have no idea-I just want you to know you are not being ignored
  • The links Jason provided seem to explain a hypertrophic scar pretty well. Did the doctor indicate there is a problem with your incision?

I am totally guessing here.... hypertrophy is the "excessive development of an organ or part; specifically : increase in bulk (as by thickening of muscle fibers) without multiplication of parts "

Perhaps there is scar tissue that is developing that is thicker than normal and he's concerned it is pressing on a nerve...rather than speaking about your incision.

Scarring is a natural part of the healing process. All our bodies make scar tissue to fill in a void when we cut the surface of the skin or have something removed surgically. The articles refer to the surface scars that form to close the skin....So I am not sure what your doctor meant....guess you'll have to wait till next week to find out.

He thinks the clumsiness is a result of all your tight muscles?

Gwennie
  • Thanks all...Jeannie, your a doll. Thanks Jason for the links because you had to have researched it...appreciate the time you took and Gwennie...I always look forward to your posts.

The doc is concerned about the clumsiness and muscle tightness. AS soon as he heard that I'm trip over my own feen and trip up the steps...yes, I said UP the steps...he wanted to see me back in a week after taking the flexeril. It makes sense to me that if my muscles are tight then I'd be more prone to tripping and clumsiness but that's just my idea. Yesterday was a crazy day at the office I go to. they have one or two days a month where people with little or no insurance who's kids have scoliosis can be seen. Its a beautiful thing to do...makes for a crazy visit but it was ok. I didn't mind waiting for an hour to see him...in and out.

About the scar...his concern is that it still is painful to touch. My voice is back but not for talking longer than 30 or 40 minutes. Kinda hard to keep conversation and such. But its also making it harder to just swallow or walk comfortably. I feel this stupid thing and whatever its adhering to as I walk and I can barely lift my head back to rinse shampoo off.

All in all, I can't comlain. I've met fabulous people through this forum and always get good advise.

so again...thatks all....
advertisement