Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Addiction Behaviors Check List

marirlpnmmarirlpn Posts: 1,028
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
This is an assessment tool that many pain management clinicians use on their patients. I found this quite interesting.

Best wishes,

• I find these interesting because seriously how many chronic pain patients wouldn't identify with some of these questions? If getting the meds is the only way out of the pain, of course you're going to be asking about it. And if the pain is terrible, people might consider taking more than prescribed.

I think the question doctors need to ask themselves before resorting to these questions is "is the patient's pain properly managed?" Because if the answer to that is no, then the other questions are moot.

Personally, I am addicted to doing things that are hard on my back. I told the doctor straight up that I was not interested in taking less meds, I was interested in having more life. How do they differentiate? Or am I in the "addict" category?

• This seemed more like a list of eligibility than not, who in pain would not be worried about supply and provision or the implication for both. Yes or No just does not cut it and although we understand that need for some assessment Melzack and Wall et al assessment in Textbook of Pain suggest that only 2% have potential for addiction and this seems a heavy handed approach for the majority.

I want the medication that works for me in adequate supply to my needs, this would read like a list of lack of care, we here understand the need by some requiring medication for an alternative motive and that has nothing to do with managing pain efficiently effectively or chronic issues.

• It's important to keep in mind that this tool is not intended to be used as a single assessment. It's intended to track behavior and changes in behavior over time, in the context of a person's ongoing care.

In the end, determining whether or not the presence of certain indicators indicates a problem comes back to the clinical judgment of the doctor.
  • There's actually far more research behind the assessment than it being a "VA form."
  • I read some of the research on this assessment. It's not a diagnostic assessment, just a screening- many people will answer yes to those questions and not be using narcotics improperly.

And, indeed, it turns out that it only works if the pain is properly controlled.

Anyone who is meeting a lot of those characteristics should be closely monitored- but isn't that just true of people who are on long-term opiate therapy? No doctor should be treating chronic severe pain patients without paying very close attention to how the opiates are affecting them.
This discussion has been closed.