Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusion/ nerve pain

Lysee55LLysee55 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Scoliosis
I was born with Scoliosis and wore a cast for two years in the mid 1960's.I had a spinal fusion 12 years ago, 1997.An anterior and posterior fusion from L4 to T12. Was able to maintain a normal life style but had some pain in my scapula area for years after first fusions.( these are two day surgeries)
I had every injection there such as nerve blocks,botox,every injection you can name which would provide some relief for a few weeks and then fade.
Then about 3 years back I started to experience pain on walking.I am a very active person.I teach preschool and walk my dog and take care of my family. I don't like being a victim.
But the pain was hard and i started to take Tramadol to go about my usual day. Dr said i need fusion from L4 to S1 and while he was in there A. and P. Dec15- Dec. 17 he took out the old hardware.This was a 9 hour surgery. They found i had NOT FUSED from the first fusion in 1997 in T9- T11 so that was causing the pain.I have new Ped.screws there and now i have no pain there.
I am in a brace on my torso and my leg for 3 months for the leg and 6 months for the torso.I have nerve pain now in my ankle and groin and knee. They say from the 9 hour surgery from the way i was positioned on the table for 9 hours
Will this nerve go away? I don't feel anything in the surgical sites.Its the nerve pain that's a Edited. When i woke from surgery, i couldn't move the leg at all. Now i can and it hurts. Has anyone else had anything like this?

Post edited by Authority Member haglandc for inappropriate language

• I'm sorry you had problems with non fusion. Do you mean that you had no pain from your 1997 surgery until three years ago? If I read that correctly, you had ten years free of pain after your surgery even though you weren't properly fused? Perhaps I got that wrong?

Did they use BMP in your recent surgery? I'd expect they would with your history of non-fusion.

It wouldn't be fair to speculate about the cause of this new pain but I think you should ask your surgeon what he thinks might be causing it and whether it could be BMP overgrowth.

Good luck Lysee. I hope you'll keep in touch when you finally find out the cause (it may be nothing and the pain could go away of its own accord. I hope so.)
  • The nerve pain on the left side has gone away some what.
    The right leg still feel numb and its feels weird from the calf down. My walking seems to be fine except i may have some slight slight leg drop on the left.
    I am pretty lucky from what i read here.

Since the non fusion 12 years ago there was a lot of pain at the non fusion at the scapular area for years.
    I can deal with that, but when the pain with walking started it was to to much. So that's why i had the S1- l4 fusion.
    I don't know if they used a BMP. i know they used a cage that grows bone, is that the same thing?
  • I also had a 9 hr fusion & mine was also a 360, anterior & posterior only mine was done in 1 day.

My left leg from the knee up to my waist is not completely numb - it has more of a "dead feeling"

My surgeon said that it was because my incision was so deep on the left side. It is almost like someone drew a line right in the middle of me - the right leg from the knee to the waist is normal - but the left knee & like you the left side of the groin even & up to my waist feels - almost like - rubber maybe,

If I pinch it or scratch it - I can feel it but it feels dull. Sheets & some clothing irritates it. So yes, I know what you mean. It has been 15 months for me & it remains the same. It is more bothersome than painful but it is kind of weaker than other parts of where I had surgery. I hate the feeling.
    Of course the gain far outweighs the dead feeling but it still bothers me.

Hope you feel better.
This discussion has been closed.