Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bandage adhesive irritation issue!

dlbettsddlbetts Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello once again! Things are going great with my recovery, except for my wound dressings. I love the size and cushion my bandage provides, but the adhesive is seriously irritating my skin. So much that I never feel the wound, but constantly the burning and itching of the bandage!

Does anyone have suggestions? My mom has tried pulling/peeling slowly, but still hurts like crap. The relief I get is when she squirts the saline wash over the whole area and let's me sit for a bit.

Thanks for help!

Diana
advertisement

Comments

• Have you tried heating it JUST A BIT with a hair dryer before you pull it off? It may make it a bit easier.

Also, I have used baby oil with success before (put it on the tape and let it sit for about 10 minutes.) - although this approach makes it difficult for new tape to stick.

And a final approach may be to peel a bit of the corner back, and start rubbing a q-tip covered in rubbing alcohol slowly working it off.

Sorry this is an issue for you, I know what you mean!
  • Have you tried the "paper" tape? I have a sensitivity to whatever the use in typical bandage adhesive/tape. My skin gets kind of raw and irritated and with certain ones it burns and itches too. But I find the "paper" tape to be much gentler. And though it doesn't stick quite as well as the other types, it's totally worth having to use a few extra strips to avoid the pain and irritation!
  • I'm with you on this issue. My doc's assistant suggested paper tape. It doesn't stick to skin as much. The hospital type tape feels like it takes layers of skin with it but the paper tape was good. It didn't hold as well but if the area is covered, the tape won't come off. Mine was on the neck so Had to be really careful and replace the tape. But at least I didnt' have tape burn marks on my neck anymmore.......

I hope this helps for you in this. Get well quickly!!!! ha! That's what we all wish for.
  • I've developed a definite sensitivity to adhesive tapes - they used the paper tape on me this time. It still sucked. I could not WAIT to get rid of the big bandage last Tuesday.

Are you having to change your bandage daily? I take it that the peeling off is the issue? Mine was the fact that it was stuck on. The coming off was always such a relief.

Unfortunately -the steri strips that were underneath holding my incision closed are now almost all the way off too - only just over 1 week out too. A little scary.
  • I agree with the other who suggested paper tape. I get reactions from the adhesive (I think it may be a latex allergy?), I get itchy, red, raw, rashy, etc. The paper tape solved my problems, though it doesn't stick as well.

Perhaps Benadryl or something can help?
  • that hurts so bad!also try taping the bandage on with touching as little skin as possible-----sometimes I just undid it and left the bandage barely hanging on---I used otc sterile cream ointment on the places that made a booboo----best of luck-I got my ok today for no more bandages and I am so happy!------the paper tape is good!do not use the athletic tape-it will rip everything you have off-----we are here for you!
advertisement