Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Relaxer for day time use

maddysmommmaddysmom Posts: 137
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Pain Medications
I'm looking for a muscle relaxer that I can use during the day at work while I'm sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours. I've tried Robaxin with moderate success....now on Zanaflex which works pretty good but knocks me out. My pain doc will not prescribe Soma, but said he would consider Valium. Others I have tried were Skelaxin and Flexeril which also makes me too sleepy.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Over the years, I have tried all the ones that you have mentioned. To me, Flexeril was too much and always made me feel like I had a hangover the next day.

Rhobaxin didnt do enough to handle my muscles spasms.
    Valium does work, but again, it did too much in trying to relax me.

Zanaflex works great, I was using 4mg 3x day. That was too much to function correctly at a job and using the computer. You could reduce the dosage. I used to split my 4mg into 2 (with my doctor's and pharmacists ok) which worked fine. It did the job in helping reduce my muscles and spasms, but Zanaflex over a period of time can have negative effects on the liver.

My Pain mgt doctor switched me to Soma 350mg 4x day.
    That has been the best for me, does what it is suppose to and still allows me to function.

But since your doctor doesnt want to go with Soma for you, I would look into smaller dosages of Zanaflex.

Talk this over with your doctor to see if they have the right solution.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I will look into the splitting of the Zanaflex. I wish my doctor would let me try the Soma. He knows I follow his orders and use my medications responsibly and have no history of abuse. Ah well, in that perfect world.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I was having a terrible time taking Flexeril also. Made me feel hungover everyday. Now during the day I take Norflex. It doesn't make me sleepy but doesn't help a lot either. It may work very well for you as meds affect us all differently. I hope you can find something that works for you. Good luck.