Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

did i over do it?

cathyrccathyr Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,
I am 5 months post acdf C6-7. I had relatives over and did a lot of cleaning. A week later and neck hurts again....had to go a do a lot of icing and tylenol....will I recover or is something wrong. Also DRs did a stomach scoping on me where they put me under....I told them not to bend my neck....dont know if this caused it or not? Any advice???

Cathy
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    the fusion should be solid enough. The extra amount of cleaning and work you did could have easily just created a flare up and nothing serious.

I've been through hundreds of flareups over the past 30+ years, so I get when one is more serious than another one. Most of the time, Ice/Heat , Therapy, Medications take care of it.

However, when in doubt, I would always contact the doctor. You dont need to be stoic and just deal with this. Talking it over with your doctor, then the both of you can decide if any additional actions are required.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can't really say whether the stomach procedure caused any problems. One would assume the surgical team would have been extremely careful knowing you'd recently had cervical surgery.

I would vote for the cleaning and company. I am two years out from a lumbar fusion and I just about ended up in the ER right before Christmas for the same reasons. I bent over a couple times too many, pushed the vacuum cleaner and am still paying the price.

It really is amazing how long it takes to recover from spine surgery. I would suggest calling your surgeon in a few days if it is not getting better. You should make a little progress if you are not continuing to engage in the same activities, movements, etc.
  • well i got over the initial discomfort...then tripped over the cat and fell...in a lot of pain on collar bone and jugular notch where c67 was done. feel like i've gone 10 steps back? I am 6 months out...dr said titanium is pretty hard to break...should i get another x ray and go back to drs or wait this one out?

cathy
  • I'm sorry you had a fall and hope you're okay. I would call your Dr and he may want to do an x-ray. Is it time for your follow up appointment? I would get an appointment to check it out. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Your doctor is correct about the toughness of the implants, but you will feel better if you call just to be on the safe side.

Seems like we all get more clumsy after surgery.
  • The cleaning is one thing for 'overdoing it' but with the fall, I would call the doctor for piece of mind. They are the experts...the hardware is very strong and you are pretty far out but not worth worrying over. Worry causes stress which can cause more pain.

Hope you get some rest tonight.
  • After a few days I felt better again.... I just need to know if this is normal...my dr doesnt have answers and neurosurgeon doesnt either???

I get the following on/off...
    muscle tension behind ears
    ear pain
    tinnitus
    headaches
    head pressure
    and my neck heats up that i have to ice

i dont take pain killer...just rest and tylenol...i would love to take something but my doctors wants to put me on valium (been there done that heroine...no thanks)

Please...can ANYONE tell me if this is normal recovery at 6 months?????

desperate for answers?????

Cathy
advertisement