Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dry mouth/sore throat w/meds

marcie7mmarcie7 Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Pain Medications
Here I am again with another question...I find this wonderful site and now you won't be able to shut me up.

Over the past year I have had a chronic dry mouth, throat and tingling in my tongue (sort of like when you burn your tongue on hot coffee). I take Lunesta 3mg once a day along w/Lyrica 75 mg x 1 daily and Naprosin 500 mg. once daily. The dry throat is really getting to be a problem with my profession (I teach high school). I have been cleared by a ear/nose/throat dr. so no problems there. I know it must be the meds. When I take the sleeping pill (Lunesta) I get a metalic taste in my mouth. Does any of this sound familar?

• My dentist told me about products that are used for dry mouth. I have used them with great success. I do not take the same meds as you do. But, the dry mouth aides really help me with waking with severe dry mouth.

• side effect of many medications, the dry mouth, throat issue that is. As far as whether or not the metallic taste is a side effect of lunesta or not, read the prescribing information print out you get from the pharmacy. It lists side effects of each medication on them, as well as the dosage directions for a medication.
    You can buy the dry mouth toothpaste, mouthwash and drops in most stores-it's called Biotene.
    It really does help with medication induced dry mouth.
  • I use the Biotene mouth gel before I go to sleep. I am a mouth breather when I sleep. I used to wake up with a really dry tongue. But, the Biotene gel has helped a lot. It is a little strange to get used to, but, I wouldn't go back to not using it at all.

There is also a spray that can be used called Oasis mouth spray. I have not used it. So, I can't give any opinion about it.

Just wanted to let you know what worked for me. Being a former teacher, I know how dry the mouth can get. Hope you find a solution. :)

• Hey Nikon,

Is Biotene OTC or prescription? This sore throat thing is becoming quite a problem...much more than my back problems.
    Thanks for your help.
  • All of the brands named in the thread are OTC. I got Biotene at my pharmacy. Located near the toothpaste section.

Hope it works for you. :)