I have a question about the need for another MRI pre-op?
I had my last MRI in Oct '09 and I re-herniated L4-L5 but also have old central protrusions at L3-L4 & L5-S1 (L5-S1 was actually my first herniation ever...also do have some bilateral foraminal stenosis at L5). While the constant muscle pain in my left calf is no longer there I do still have my numbness & it can easily go into spasm if I'm not careful...this is all related to L4-L5.
However, my problem is that I'm having a very consistent lower back ache which is now more apparent that I've stopped taking NSAIDs in preparation for surgery as well as a crampy/achy feeling in both of my thighs. I've had the occasional shock in my right leg (only to the knee) but last night at work I had a shock in my right leg all the way to my foot.
I am on "light duty" at work as a nurse but last night I had no choice but to help transfer a patient quite a distance (from the hospital next door). I didn't actually push the strecher...I just steered it from the front as necessary to help my co-worker. I also had to carry a 20 lb infant and hold him for 20 mins in an akward position for a spinal tap. It was a very busy and stressful night (12 hours!)...but I had no choice but to push the limits. The right leg sciatic pain as well as the left leg spasm I had at work happened after all of this chaotic activity.
I am scheduled for an L4-L5 repeat discectomy on Jan 26th after refusing a 3-level fusion. My pre-op appointment is on Tuesday the 19th.
Should I talk to my surgeon about a repeat MRI to make sure everything is still the same? I'm hesitant for the fear that L4-L5 won't look as "bad" and that he'd cancel my surgery. On the other hand, I'm afraid maybe something is going on particularly with L5-S1...I think I'm just being a bit paranoid but I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts.
*Just a note that this surgeon is not the one that offered me the fusion, he doesn't think I'm ready for that yet...*