Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSDI Adjucator says decision is about a week away....

PreachermanPPreacherman Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Health Insurance Issues
and I am nervous and anxious at the same time. As I stated in my intro post, I submitted my online application on October 23, and turned in all of my medical documents (4 MRI reports, FCE report, 2 surgeons, Rheumatologist, PM, PCP, EMG) at the local office on October 28. I then called my case worker at the local office 1 week later to see if they needed anything else from me, she checked my file and said nothing else was needed and she was sending it to the Determination Board that afternoon. Less than a week later I received 2 forms (Pain and Daily Activities Questionnaire, Explanation of injuries and work ability) from my Adjucator at the disability determination office to fill out and return by November 17. As these forms were about 10 pages each, and my hands and arms go numb if I hold a pen for even a few minutes (not to mention how bad my handwriting has become), I phoned my adjucator to see if I could typeset their questionaires and my answers and just print them out; and to also let her know that it was going to take me longer to get it done. I have been a layout artist for 15 years and a few years ago I could have typeset these within a few hours, but it took me a week; and 2 more weeks to complete the answers. I phoned my adjucator once each week to let her know that I was still working on the forms. I mailed these forms on Dec 1 and then called her 1 week later to confirm that she had received them and to tell her a couple of things that I had forgotten to add on one of the forms. I then phoned her again right before Christmas to see if she needed anything else from me, and she said that she had everything and could possibly make a decision within 4 weeks or so. So I then called her again on Monday, January 11 to confirm that there was nothing else she needed from me; she called me back on Wednesday, January 13 and left me a voicemail stating that they should be able to render a decision in a week or so. Now, to say the least, I am extremely anxious. And I am extremely nervous as they have not requested for me to be seen by one of their physicians, no formal phone interview, and as I have not heard of anyone else who has been approved this quickly.
Sorry to have made this so long and drawn out, but I was thinking that if, by chance, I get a favourable decision, maybe the steps I have taken can help someone else.

• Does this sound good or bad? Is my nervousness warranted?
  • I hope it's all good news up ahead for you. Good luck and I hope you get SSDI without any further actions. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • it sounds good. There are some folks that do get approved right away. The fact that they didn't need more info or send you to one of their docs sounds like they have everything that they need. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Got the denial letter in the mail today. It was hard enough for me to admit to myself that I would never be able to hold down a job again; then read in the letter that, according to them, I still have the capabilities to work...it's kinda degrading. I keep telling myself that they don't know me, have never met me, and really don't know what I go thru every day; but, it still hasn't taken the edge off of it. Makes you wonder if they even stop and think about "what employer would hire this person". It's kind of stupid to tell someone that they can do something, when there is really no place they can do it. What I mean is--I know that there are days when I could do my old job, sitting at a computer workstation, for a few hours; but, those few hours are so sporatic that an employer could not depend on me. Not to mention the fact that between the drive there and working those few hours, I'll be paying the price with severe pain by the time I get home. In employer's terminology, I am no longer an asset to any company, I am now a liability. Some things just never seem to make any sense. I know I am "preaching to the choir", just venting a little where I know that I am understood.
    So, now I'm wondering...which is better: (A)file the appeal myself, (B)work with an advocate to file the appeal, (C)go ahead and get an attorney. Which has the best success rate? Any suggestions?
    BTW, thanks for the encouraging words, Charry & JJ.
  • hire an atty! After my 2nd denial (nearly 4 yrs ago) I hired an atty that works on a contingency basis (most SSDI atty's do). It has been over 4.5yrs and after an ALJ denial, I am still awaiting my appeal. I decided to go the political route and with the help of my local Congressman here in FL, my appeal has been expedited and ODAR (office of disability adjudication review) has agreed that I was wrongfully denied at my ALJ hearing and stated numerous things that the Judge ignored when rendering his opinion. Since I have moved (used to live in MI) they have fwd'd my information to Tampa and I'm waiting on a new hearing date, which I've been told SHOULD be by mid April (due to the request to expedite-otherwise it could be much longer). I would recommend not only getting yourself an atty that specializes in SSDI, but I would also go see (or write if you can't go in person) your local Congressman & ask for their help. Chances are you might be able to expedite your ALJ hearing date & it certainly can't hurt!

Good luck....will keep you in my prayers for a favorable outcome. I know what you're going through-like I said, I've been going through this for over 4.5yrs (filed in August 2005). If you have any questions, or just want to vent, feel free to PM me, or you can e me at: HurtsAllOver@tampabay.rr.com

Take good care.
  • Don't give up! The appeals are scheduled in a "date received" order, so the soon your get your appeal paperwork filed, the better.

An advocate is not a bad idea; but the ATTORNEY is the way to go.

As Tanya said, they work on a contingency basis and SSA will not allow you to hire a crappy one - they actually have to approve your attorney representative.

And, no - their only concern is whether you can do a job, not whether anyone will hire you knowing your full medical history.

Good luck!
  • Oh man, I just wanted to say I was just denied again and got my denial yesterday....I sure understand how you feel. This was my second denial. I am told they do deny fairly frequently, so don't give up! Hire an attorney. I have an attorney and he gets paid only if I get my disability approved. I am now waiting to go before the ALJ, but that may take a year my attorney told me, as there are so many people ahead of me. But I am not giving up. I know what you are going thru, it's so maddening and so frustrating.
  • I called a local attorney, who only works with disability cases, Wednesday afternoon and gave all of my info to her assistant. They will call me Monday to confirm that they will handle my case and set me an appointment to meet with them next week. According to the assistant, highly unlikely that an appeal will be successful, and then we'll be looking at the ALJ hearing. Told me to be prepared for the long haul.

Tanya, OMG! 4.5 yrs, I don't know if I could handle that..mentally or emotionally. You would think that if ODAR found that you were wrongfully denied, that they would also be able to reverse the decision, then and there.

Jeaux, Yeah, I finally came to the determination that what money I would lose would be worth it, knowing that I had "somebody" on my side who knew the ropes. I get the whole "if I can work" thing, and understand that it helps to weed out all of the people just trying to get what they consider is free money.

Ivorymoon, I am only beginning to understand the madness of the "system", and have to say that my emotions ran the gamut when I read my denial letter.

Thanks again, Tim