Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

for some reason a not so good day

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi fellow spineys-another musings entry,I havent slept well for the last 4-5 nights,so I get up get in my chair,walk around the house,take some meds,sit back in the chair with heating pad,blah,blah---ponder life,this morning I wondered if the info-mercials in the middle of the night sell morphine pumps for 19.95 plus shipping and handling,and 2 for the price of one if you call now.I hate to say it is a depressing day,because its not very cold,all is right on our little farm,but just blah.I am sure not sleeping is huge.I have tried tylenol p.m.,but not so well.I may have to call dr.--hope everyone is having a good Saturday--tomorrow is another day!!!!!!

• I'm sorry to hear you are feeling down today. Sleep is so important to our frame of mind. Does your lack of sleep at night make you want too nap during the day, if so take those naps. It may help. Hang in there, keep the faith.
    Thinking of you,
    God Bless and keep you,
  • After my PLIF the first 2-3 weeks were a blurr. Then I also had my sleep schedule all screwed up. Plus the meds make it difficult. I watched a lot of TV & movies throught the night. I woudl get sleepy and stop the video, sleep for an hour or so, wake up push play you get the picture.

I napped alot during the day- it is important for your healing.

Once I got further along in the recovery I started getting more activity during the day and less/different meds & I started sleeping longer/better.

Cheer Up it will get better, Hugs,

• I'm so sorry you are having a rough day mentally but I have to say that you haven't lost your sense of humor. The infommercial idea is quite funny.

I hope you have a better night sleep so you can face the day with a smile or at least the encouragement to give the day a good harsh talking to in order to make it a great day

• So sorry that today hasn't been a good day. If you haven't been sleeping well, that will affect how you feel. It is still very early in your recovery and, generally speaking, you are doing really well.
    This is just a bump in the road to full healing. I do hope that you sleep better tonight, and tomorrow is another day.

Keep sharing how you are doing. We all care and will do all we can to support and encourage you.

Spring is on the way! When the sun shines, everything seems so much better.

Take care, fellow Gammy!
  • thank you my spineys!I do get some rest during the day,but the kind of rest where you dose,but know everything is going on---and it really shouldn't bother me if I have to get up,I sure don't have a schedule to follow!knew youall would make me feel better-
  • You and I! It's been a challenge to suddenly have the blues hit. Afraid I've been spending some sleepless nights pondering the expense I committed myself to for yet ANOTHER surgery and of course lamenting the loss of my former winter activities :(

We WILL get through this. It takes a village - right? ;)
  • yep,saltz--we should probably get on here and see if we are both up at the same time----I think about the expense,and my wonderful husband says we do whatever it takes to get you back---he is the best.---at this point I will be happy to hop in the car and go watch the grandkids play sports,and when summer comes I would love to play volleyball,but I dont see that happening----I may just have to hold the beers.yes it takes a village,a spiney village----I hope you get some sleep tonight! Jeannie
  • Hi! If you find that $19.99 morphine pump for sale...let me know. We can split the cost! ha ha.

I'm almost 10 weeks past ACDF 2 level and really, sleep is hard. Pain more than anything keeps me awake. It isn't horrid pain, its just "not normal" and achy. 2 weeks ago the dr gave me Ambien and that worked well once I actually fell asleep. Last week, because of muscle pain, he gave me muscle relaxers. Those help me sleep too.

Lack of sleep is such a deterrent for healing. My doc insisted on the Ambien because unfortunately my healing is going slowly...but hey..it's going.

Try warm milk, too. I put a bit of sugar and vanilla extract in mine. It helps get me drowsy. The first bunch of weeks is hard to sleep and that does affect our moods. And like you....Tylenol and Tylenol PM is like taking tic tacs.....useless.

I hope you can sort this out soon. I don't know about you, but I had NO IDEA that sleep would be an issue. though, in the months before surgery I couldn't sleep well either because of pain.

Be well....keep you sense of humor and let me know if you find that pump. ha ha!

• thanks Yvonne! I think I am going to call the dr. Monday,and ask for something to sleep.I am like you,it isnt stabbing pain,but deep ache,so it keeps you awake.--I tell you,if I find the 19.95 morphine pump I will let all the spineys know(shipping and handling not included of course)thank you for the encouragement!
  • Hey Tex, I just wanna chime in and agree with what everyone else here tells ya. Sleep will get better. I guess I'm about 9 weeks post op. My sleep patterns are better, but they were really messed up for about the first month. Sounds like you are a fairly active person. I am too and now that I'm just staying home all day-every day instead of working and exercising, it makes good sleep all that much harder to come by. I does get better and Jellyhall is right, spring is on the way! We'll all feel better then :)

• I hope you sleep tonight...I hope I sleep tonight :-)

Yes, B52...looking so forward to that warm weather..ahhhhhhhhhhh
  • Oh yea, my wish is for us all to have a good night's sleep. I just had a hot cup of chamomile tea and an Alprazolam. I think I'm off for sleepy town. The tea does help. I've been drinking herbal sedative teas this week and I have fallen asleep a little more quickly. Least I think so.

Y'all come on by..I'll make tea for everyone.

Peace & bombs,
  • Peace & bombs. LOL.........into explosive ordinance huh?

Alas......I can't meet you all for tea.....ship it to me on a B52!

good night all...Jeannie I hope the dr gives you some good help. I'm not one that likes to take meds but when ya gotta ya gotta. And remember...its just for a season. That's what I tell myself. This will pass and then we'll be free from medicine!

won't that be nice??????

• yes! it will be nice!!!!---aaron,thank you for the idea for night-time tea-I haven't thought of that!thank you,de,sleep,and jelly-----last night I slept on our couch instead of my bed,and I actually got some sleep.I got up about 1 and took a pain pill,but didn't get up until hubby started the coffee at 6.I slept on this couch alot after my first fusion,so it will be my bed from now on.It is as deep as a twin without the back pillows,plus I can back up to it and have support for my back.I hope this morning post finds everyone with a good nights rest!
  • Well Tex, I'm glad you got a better night's sleep! It sure makes one feel better the next day. As for me, I slept like a murf 'till the cat woke me about 0700. I think today will be a happy day..not going to have the blues; in Arkansas or Texas :) I hope it's happy in Tejas anyhow, because I'm going to talk to my sister in San Antonio later today. That'll make me happy. Off to make a little more coffee and get about my busy day.

Ride it like ya stole it,
  • HI B--I am in North Texas--thank you-and I am glad you slept well too! I am gearing up for the Cowboy game-----got to make it to the Superbowl!!!! Thank you so much for your support

• So glad that you managed to sleep last night, and hope you are feeling better today. It doesn't matter where you sleep, just as long as you do.
    The sun has been shining here today, which makes the world look lovely. Hope it reaches your side of the world too!!

Take care, and keep healing. Look to the spring and just ride over the bumps along the way.
  • Hi Jeannie, just happened to notice you are definitly a Dallas fan. My wife and I live and are from southern Minnesota. I got my Jared Allen jersey on as we spent and getting ready to watch the game. Look out!!! Talk to ya, Kevin

GO VIKINGS!!!!
  • eeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!!may the best team win!
  • I'm glad you are feeling better today, and are ready to enjoy the game, hubby and I will be watching as well.
    Damion is 5 to day so after the game its off the Chuck-E-Cheese for the big b-day party.
    Sorry Kevin GO COWBOYS :) :) :)
    May the best team win, (if its the Cowboys lol)
  • Hey...sorry to burst all of your bubbles but at the end of the day it'll be the Saints winning the superbowl!

And what's with the probowl being BEFORE the superbowl????????

But Jeannie....glad you got a good night's rest. It makes all teh difference in the world doesn't it?????

It took me about 2 hours to fall asleep and when I did, it seems like I dreamt all night long!!!! I'm a bit tired and achy...but I'll save the pain meds until I really need them.....like during the 7 hours of football today! ha ha.....my brother's going for Dallas. I'm not putting much hope in the Jets although I'm from NY. It would be a fluke if they beat the chargers. I think the best game of this whole weekend is going to be the Cowboys/Vikings game........ahhhhhhh.....I love football season!

Have a great day all!

• Yvonne - warm milk over toast - have you tried it? I think I force myself to fall asleep afterwards just so I won't throw up. Still - it gets me to sleep for some reason. Butter that toast, put it in a bowl and pour warm milk all over it. Salt, pepper and there ya go!

I get WAY too much football at home already - not here too?!! LOL!!

I have to admit I insist we watch the Superbowl all as a family is the best- but it does fill my football watching quota for the year.
  • Sorry about the game, but we're celebrating in MINN tonight. LOL Kevin
  • WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!congrats to the Vikings, but.......THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!-------saltz--I don't drink milk on a perfect day,except choco soy milk---I guess I could heat that up? except if that has cafffeine--I will check----how are you feeling?...hey mama-have fun at Chuckie Cheese---then drink a beer!.....de,the Saints are awesome,they deserve to go far-----but The Boys have my heart---
  • down with the cowboys....but I thik the Jets are going with them. REgardless....whoever wins today's games will lose to the colts and the saints. And at the end of the day...the saints win it all!!!!!

I hope the doc really gives you something you can use temporarily to sleep. Once the pain goes away, I figure we should go back to regular sleep. At least I pray so. My body got used to the flexeril in 2 days. Now....it doesn't even make me sleepy!!!!! So....now the choice is...flexeril to relax my muscles or Ambien to sleep????

ha! To sleep or not to sleep....that is the questions. I'll try the bread and milk. sounds good!

sorry all you cowboy fans. My brother is one...he was super sad today......LOL.
  • de,have you ever taken trazadone?
  • LOL I was sad but...yes... the Vikings kicked our Boys butts, ahh such is life. I am not a football fanatic (hubby is, even watches college) but I rarely miss my Boys when they play, and we do watch the super bowl.
    No beer for me Jeannie, never have liked the taste, I used to enjoy an occasional glass of wine or mixed drink, but nothing since I've been on all these meds, not even a new years toast :( . Chuck-E-Cheese was and exhausting, pain envoking blast. I am glad its over :).
    I hope everyone is resting and feeling better,
    God Bless and keep you,
  • I havent had anything fun to drink either!I dont even want it----yep Chuckie Cheese about did me in the one time I went--for our granddaughters bday---I hope you are feeling better!
  • I haven't even been able to do much shopping!!!!! An hour at the mall or Walmart for the New Year's weekend is the max of my fun in 2 months!....well, besides some of the goofy chats in s/h or yahoo.

thought today would be a good day because I initially woke up without pain but now....3 hours later....I've had to take 1.5 vicodens. My head feels 20 pounds heavier and the back of my neck is super ouchy!

and don't worry...all those who mourn the Cowboys...I'll be joining you next week with the Jets. Except that I'm a HUGE colts fan....I love the Manning brothers. ha ha......

I hope you all have a great day....pain or no pain...days can still be good.
  • you sound in good spirits,de!--I haven't been anywhere but the dr.in a little over 2 weeks,but I don't want to go anywhere!Next weekend we are going to see the kids and some friends--they are only 45 min away------it will be good to feel like getting out again