Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stenosis - what next?

backman38bbackman38 Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi, it's been over a year since I had a L4-5 left micro - discectomomy, foraminonomy and laminonomy. They removed the ligamentum fl. But did not address the rt side for moderate stenosis. First, the good news. My epidural scar tissue shrank from last year to this year. I am getting around well. However, I have DDD now andI get numbness in my rt thigh. It gets bad at times when I stand and lay flat. It drives me a little nuts. When is it time again to visit the surgeon and what is the best proceedure?

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi backman,
    I have stenosis, ddd, and a few other challenges. My symptoms were tingling
    and numbness of my left thigh, lower back, groin pain, and poor balance. I had a laminectomy of L4 thru L6 back in 2006 which helped tremendously.
    But as my vertabrae continues to collapse I have now developed scoliosis. So I can definitely relate to your question, "when is it time again to visit the surgeon and what is the best procedure?"
    I hate to admit it but I am ignoring what I really should be looking into. I know it is inevitable but I need to keep working and be productive.
    Take care,
  • In 2005 I had a cervical corpectomy C4-5 with instrumentation for severe spinal stenosi. I spent years in pain and lived with either tingling or numb hands and the inability to hold my own head up. I was in the hospital for less than 24 hours and had not felt better in years when I went home. I wore a hard collar for six months and to this day am pain free. In 2008-Sept I was walking the dogs and stepped up on a curb pain shot thru my lower back and down my legs and my legs collapsed. I had an MRI and was referred to a neuro surgeon who viewed the MRI before entering the exam room, he walked in looked at me very puzzled and walked back out. Returned a few minutes later and said by just viewing the MRI he thought I was at least 80 or a retired football player. Being a 43 at the time and a woman neither was true. Severe stenosis and 3 ruptured discs. We tried the steroid injections but they lasted less than a month and the max you can have is 3. In Feb 2009 I underwent PLIF L1-S1 with instrumentation. I am happy to report I was back to work part time about 5 weeks and full time in 8. I actually worked from home after the first two weeks. I can walk long distances, stand for long periods of time and I enjoy twice daily walks with the dogs. Just shy of a year and I have completed a three day tour of DisneyWorld with friends visiting from Canada and they are amazed since they were here last year prior to the surgery where I was lucky to walk from bench to bench. You will be more productive with the right procedure and a pain free life. Good luck to you
  • Did you have laser surgery? Would you do it again if you had to do it all over again??