Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help it hurts bad

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
OMG- My left arm started hurting- nerve pain all the way into my 3 middle finger/even the nail beds hurt.

This is worse than it has ever been. It hurts all over- the skin burns if I touch it.

I have had left arm pain but it was more of a dull ache-felt like it was in the bone but this is worse than ever.

It started yesterday- my neck usually hurts on the right side. Yesterday it started throbbing on the left side. I noticed while I was grocery shopping that my left hadn had gotten weaker than my right (it has been the other way around).

I used ice/heat and my normal pain meds (1-2 5mg norco). The pain is not even being touched.

Any suggestions into how to get control of this?

• Howdy Julie,

First off, I am so sorry to hear you have all this going on! *HUG*

My C6/7 gave me much of what you are describing. Do you have any pain issues in your triceps or shoulder blade on that side?

As far as getting some relief - that's a tough one! I found that in a few positions for my neck/head I got some relief. Also too, some positions when I laid down gave me a bit of a break. I didn't find heat or ice helped! It sounds like yours is being aggravated by activity. Try resting a bit with that arm and see if it settles down a bit.

I just re-read your info signature: Could be you are getting changes at the C6/7 level. Are you going to call your doctor and see if he/she can see you? I only take Lyrica, so not sure if or what drug therapy might be available. Hopefully they can find something to help you till they figure out what is going on. Please keep us posted. *careful hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm sorry you're having so much pain right now. If it's unbearable I would suggest an ER trip for an assessment and something else to help especially if this is something new. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Brenda I have had shoulder, tricep, bicep pain on and off for months. I have been resting since about 7 pm last night. I did have 2 big work days- Thursday and Friday that just about did me in.

Charry, I will consider going to the ER- I don't want to, but if it gets to the point where I can't take it I will have a neighbor take me.

I will call my NS office in the morning to get this documented. I was speaking to the nurse last week when we got cut off. She is trying to get my surgery approved again and having trouble with the insurance company still..... :(

I am going to try soaking in a warm bath.

Thanks Peeps,

• I feel for you, unfortunately I know of nothing that helps with nerve pain. I hope your suffering will ease soon. Take care.
  • Howdy Julie,

Grrr...sadly it is sounding more and more like the C6/7 is changing for you. I am very glad to see you are going to contact your doctors office not just for the reporting of the changes, but *maybe* this can be something he can use to get the insurance company to take this seriously and let you get fixed!!!

Are you on any nerve pain meds? I had a lot of my symptoms come back amongst others, and was put on it. For me it is a "God send" as they call it. I can not function without it. I skip a dose about every 2 weeks to see if things improved, changed or got worse - for me it is taking care of the nerve pain side of the house that good!

One thing that does help me? A nice hot (as hot as I can take it) shower with the pulsing shower head! Other times I just use the regular shower head (I can use it by hand or stand alone as a "regular" shower). Something about the hot water seems to calm things for a short time. I hope you are feeling better after your bath. *HUG* Keeping you in my thoughts woman!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Julie,

Sorry to hear the pain is getting so bad. Please do call your NS and let them know how bad the pain is getting. The only thing I know that helps is to lay flat without any pillows and put your arms over your head. Typically any tilt of the head forward will only bring it up more. Another trick I have used is to take the stretch bands from therapy and and make them as tight as possible to pull your arms downward while you look upwards or straight out. When I have a Ct done they use something like this and it always helps bring the pain down. The idea is to try and widen the space on the disc and the compression. Sometimes even holding some light in both hands that pulls your shoulders down while you look straight forward will help. I would suggest muscle relaxers you will have more luck with or a anti-inflammatory. Rest is the key once it is stirred up takes longer to get it under control. But your best bet is to contact your NS in the am and see what they suggest. Anyway I do hope you get some relief.
  • Thanks Tamtam,

I feel a little better this morning. My arms have equaled out to the dull aches/numbness in the hands. My shoulders hurt to touch but I can handle it. I did wake with the spinal headache again. I have ice on my head again.

I can't put my arms over my head. I get very dizzy and then nauseated instantly. If I sleep on my back I can't have anything touch the back of my neck (unfortunately I woke up with the pillow under my neck hence the headache). I discovered last night that my left hand is going completely numb if I sleep on my left or right side. I can usually sleep on my right side ok but now it appears I may have to be a back sleeper.

Last Thursday I had a bottle of water that wasn't closed spill out on my bed. I have a king with a 4" memory foam. The foam was soaked through. So my daughter helped me take the topper off and hang it over my stair rail to dry. Thursday night I had to sleep with out it and it was terrible..... I will never give up my topper again. I put it back Friday night but I wonder if the wrestling of the mattress topper is what is causing me to be in such pain?

Thanks for the ideas & support!