Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to this, ** Hello to everyone ** With Question **

Flanders1FFlanders1 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone, I recently had a injury to my neck.
My MRI says their is a large extruded disc fragment at c5-c6 on the left. It appears to impinge slightly on the cervical cord at that level. A smaller extruded fragment is seen at c6-c7 slightly to the right of center. I also have L4 annular tears and L-5 central bulge
My neck is causing me major head aces in the neck not like pain but head ach, and my right shoulder and arm feels week. I got the results from my primary @ VA medical center and now have a up comming appt for a Nuro person.

Does this happen? Has others get this severe neck head ache?

• Sorry to hear of yet another person hurting.

I get spinal headaches (starting at the back of the neck and going up to my for head), my NS told me it is very common. I also have problems with weakness, numbness, nerve pain, and muscle spasms.

I hope that your appt with the NeuroSurgeon goes well.

I have a newly extruded disc on c5-6 now, 6-7 is not as bad. My NS is trying to get my fusion surgery scheduled, but I have insurance from He!! and they like to cause me pain and suffering while dragging their feet before they make a decision. They have already said NO once.

I hope the VA takes good care of you.

• Welcome to spine-health.

I too get a "headache" in my neck. It is really difficult to describe, almost like a toothache, but I understand what you are saying. Of course I am like Julie too and get daily headaches that at times are unbearable.

I don't know what the answer is for you, but wanted to let you know that, yes, this is a common symptom.

Are you doing any physical therapy in the interim of waiting to get with the neuro? Ice and heat seems to help with the neck ache. 20 ice and then 20 heat. I also use a tens unit. Laying down with a towel roll under my neck with shoulders flat will sometimes relieve the symptoms as well.

A lot of doctors will tell you they won't operate for "neck pain" alone. The fact that you have arm and shoulder weakening is something you should definitely have checked into though. Please keep us posted on what your doc says.

:) Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Didn't know you were a vet, thank you for your service! Was nice chatting with you in the chat room. I hope the VA takes very good care of you. You deserve the best medical care.

• Cindy Thank you, I went back to the VA today as my neck pain was too much for me to handle. they turned around and gave me stronger medication and said that inflamation was causing more of the problems. They also gave me a steroid pack yet i dont know if this will do much. I did get my appointment moved up to see my nuro.

Thank you again
  • Thank you I served in the Army for desert storm and went into the reserve after where i finished 8 years. I would have stayed in but had a knee injury and broke my ankle which kept me from running ever again. Had no choice. I left with honorable discharge with 8 years and 20% disability through the military which now im using for my neck. My head achs grew intense last night and early this morning as I returned their to the VA today and received more stronger Meds and some steroid pack to help reduce swelling. they said this causes my head aches to be so severe. who knows i hope their right.

Thank you again

• Hi Julie,

This sounds so much like my symptoms, I wish this head ache would go away. My shoulder through my arm feels week and my fingers tingle along w/ my forarm, I went to the VA and received some stronger pain med and steroid pack for inflamation, they did however move my appointment closer, so till then I wish u the best to and I know how insurrance companys are they out right s ____. dont want to use that type lauguage here but im dealing with that to. I was told to have a fussion to my l4l5 in my back last year but that is still pending my 2nd opinion outcome through the VA and my neck now is new and going through VA for that as my insuarnce carrier really all the same like yours im sure.

Good luck ,let me know how u make out

Thank you