Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wallis Ligament ???

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Is there anyone who has had a Wallis Ligament fitted?
How successful is it?
Would love to hear your story.

• You do ask unique questions! I don't recall anyone having that procedure since I've been on the board. I think it is done more in the UK than in the US....I never read anything in any American research about the Wallis ligament...at least, it is not something that is common.

I noticed when I ran a search for "Wallis ligament" almost everything that popped up was from an article written in England.

But hopefully someone will know something about it.

xx Gwennie

• Do you have other spinous devices that are used in the US? In the UK, I believe that the latest one to start to be used, is the Coflex.

I think the Coflex is screwed into the spinous processes whereas the Wallis ligament is attatched with a ligament (tied on). That makes it easily removed and replaced with something else at a later date, or a fusion could be done. I was wondering how long its life would be. It sounds like it could be useful if, as we hope, new treatment options become available in the future. One of its advantages is that it preserves motion at the level where it is used.

Hope you are having a good day.
  • Has anyone offered you surgery using the Wallis ligament? It sounds interesting.

I sent some info in a PM regarding what is being tried in the US. It is still in clinical trials.

On a lighter note, I had a shock yesterday. Got a letter from my surgeon's scheduler telling me my surgery was scheduled for Tuesday Jan 26th. Since I was under the impression I had scheduled it for March 2nd when I saw the surgeon this past Monday, this was quite a shock!! I got it straightened out...and I was tempted to take the new time, but it turns out, it was not open, and she wasn't sure why I had received the letter.

• but his assistant, who I had an appointment with, said she thought he might use tf on the level above the fused level, to preserve an already degenerated disc. She said that he does use them quite often. I am waiting for an appointment to consult with him.

I can really understand how getting a letter with an earlier surgery would have been a shock. I soooo hope that March 2nd will see a successful surgery for you, and that will be the end of your awful pain.

(I have been told that surgery for me would only deal with the leg pain, and that I will always have trouble with my back. It is the leg pain that is the worst, so if I had to chose one, that would be what I would get rid of.)

• Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this. Is it a US forum?
    Anyway I had a Wallis Ligament fitted on the 25th March (just over 2 weeks ago) and I am in no pain what-so-ever! I am amazed! It is on my L4/L5, also had a lumbar discetormy.
    Less than 2 hours I was up and about. After two days working from home and less than 8 days later pain free!
    If anyone has any questions please ask.
    I'm a 33 year old, active girl...

• Congratulations Lucy,
    It sounds like you are doing very well.

I see you are a new member here - Welcome :H

There are a lot of US people here, but others from around the world. I am from the UK, where the Wallis Ligament seems to be used.
    Where are you located?

My questions was posted before my surgery, and I had a fusion without use of a Wallis Ligament to protect the other levels.

Hopefully they will hold up and not need further surgery.

I hope that your recovery continues to go so well. :D

• Glad to hear you were off to a good start with the Wallis implant when you got it? How is it doing now that we are almost 6 months down the line?
  • had wallis ligament fitted 5 weeks ago and still quite sore and alot of discomfort. any helpplease. was used with l4/l5 decompression thanks
  • Hi, I am looking for any info regarding having a wallis ligament fitted along with a discectomy as I have a large herniation to my L4/L5 disc. I have seen the MRI scan and it looks terrible (like it is going right through my spinal cord). I have suffered with on off back pain for about 5 years now and the doctors have always blamed it on muscle spasms - finally referring me to have an MRI scan that shows this large herniation. God knows how long it has been like this or if it has only been like this since my last really bad back pain that started about 6/7 weeks ago.

I am being looked after by physiotherapists at the moment but went to see a surgeon yesterday and he has said to try physio but I will need surgery at some point, I am an ideal candidate for the Wallis ligament implant and it is my decision as to when I have it.
    The dilemma is whether to have it done now / next 6 months or to wait until it is urgent (how long is a piece of string) but to have to constantly worry about everything I do and any thought of exercise would come with constant risk.
    I am 30 yrs old and usually very active, into all sorts of sports including rock climbing, cycling, running, skydiving etc and have already had to stop all of this due to pain.

Has anyone got any suggestions? whether to ward off surgery and live a sedentary life until surgery is urgent, with risk of damaging nerves beyond repair ...... or bite the bullet and have surgery sooner to hopefully be able to enjoy and active life again with the risks that come with the surgery being a worry.

Is there any success stories / horror stories, pros and cons.