Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No Pain Meds For First Time in a Year

Slkep2004SSlkep2004 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well....I won. Me and oxycodone have been having a battle of wills and I won. I went from 120mg a day to my first day of zero mg today! At one time, I had to take it every six hours on the dot or I'd fall apart with pain. It did serve its purpose though. It made me where I could get up and at least take care of myself when I was so hurt. It made me where I could do the laundry or make dinner and wash my hair and stretch. It helped me get through some of my darkest days of pain. Slowly over the last two months, my doctor and I have been stepping it down and now finally, it doesn't have a hold on me physically or mentally. It was something I was concerned about from the first day I took a pill and for me personally, it is a very big accomplishment. Just wanted to share it with ya'll.

Also, just wanted to mention that I am no superhero, if I need pain med help in the future I will certainly utilize it and have a bottle in the drawer for security. Just happy that I am actually at a place today where I didn't need it.

• Congrats Shannon! Isn't it a lovely feeling?!?! Hope it stays that way for a very very long time!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    Shannon that is so good to hear. I believe that any time a person can come of their pain medications it is a milestone.
    Its not easy to be used to taking pain medications to help control your pain and then to get to a point where you do not need any.

I think this is an objective for everyone.

Lets hope you continue to stay in a position where you do not need pain medications in the future.

Just remember, do not be so brave that you will not use the pain medications when you need it in the future.

But, just a caution. Once you come of the pain medications and if at some point in the future you need them again, discuss this with your doctor first. There may be other options.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Congrats Shannon. It's a wonderful feeling to be free of those scary but totally necessary medications. I am one who became dependent on Oxycontin after only 6 weeks and the withdrawals were horrible. They were horrible enough to motivate me to be drug-free as soon as I possibly could.

I do wonder if once you've become dependent on it once, that if in future you need to use it again, whether you automatically become dependent again?
  • Congratulations Shannon!!!What a cause for celebration----we are so proud of you!
  • Thanks ya'll. I'm feeling pretty good about myself over it. It's just nice to know you have the ability to control it and not let it control you. I felt like it had me in its grips at certain times during all of this. I will always be open with my doctor about taking them, now or in the future. It's not something I'm ashamed of although at times I think I may have had some guilt over it. It made me feel guilty to know I had a chemical dependence even though it was for my own good. Thank you for all of the encouragement and uplifting thoughts.
  • you are welcome,and no it is nothing to hide under the rug----I know I say this alot,but no one can understand unless they have "walked a mile in a spiney's shoes"---I hope you do something special for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • As a fellow spiney who's still on meds (both pre and post op)....its good to hear that one of us has become medication free!!!! I have days when I only need to Vicodens...then I'll have a day like yesterdya that starts great and ends up with me almost begging for the ER.

Its so good to know that you're free from this!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! :O)
  • Remember those questionaires that the docs make us fill out asking what our objective is? Mine was and always will be to be pain and medication free. Medication is a tool to be used when necessary and put away in the tool shed when not needed.

• Shannon,

All I can say is, YEEHAW! I know you're so proud. It is an accomplishment. I'm smiling right now just thinking about your milestone.

Much Aloha,
  • Congrats!!! That is a HUGE plus for you and take it you are feeling much better! Kevin
  • shannon you have truly made so much progress and ditto- we are sooooo proud of you :) :)
  • That is wonderful news! Wish you continued success!!

• From someone who is still on pain meds and making sure I do not take them unless I really need them...it's so encouraging to know that you made it to 'the other side'!!!!!! And thank you for sharing your story because many of us have fears of getting attached to the pain meds.

• The way I look at it is that it was something that had to be done and very possibly may have to be done again in my life. I'm glad that at least I know there are meds out there that will help when I get really down with my back issues. If it hadn't been for the meds, I would have been bedridden before my surgery with no hope of a semi normal life or of being able to take care of myself. I understand the need for such meds. I also understand the power of the meds and the possibilities of developing problems with them. I had every symptom possible while on them and then when coming off. It was hard but it is a possible feat. Good luck to everyone. I hope you have relief and are able to do the same.