Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

February Surgeries....

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Who is with me in Feb? I'm Feb 3rd.
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• I almost was...but I signed up today for March 2nd. After surgeries the last two Januarys I decided to try it in March this time, figuring the roads have a better chance of being clear of ice and snow.

But I am having a similar procedure, except mine will be posterior and I'm already fused at L4-5...but I will end up being fused from L3-S1. Are you having cages or what type of hardware?

I'll wish you luck when it gets a little closer to your date.

Gwennie ;)

• My NS said late Feb. We are waiting for approval this time before we schedule the surgery. At this point it could be moved up or down. I would prefer sooner than later.

ACDF C5-6-7

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I find out more this Friday. It's kind of up in the air depending what he finds when he gets in there. He may have a few kinds of hardware on hand to have some options.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi,
    I just responded to you when you replied to my first post back in November! I explained I didn't know anyone replied to me and then someone emailed me, lol! So anyway, now I just saw this thread.
    I decided to do the fusion and it is scheduled for Feb. 9th.
    What are you having done?
    My first post is labeled "New with fusion questions"
  • I'm with you (as long as my MRI yesterday doesn't show anything indicating I need a different surgery).

I'm Feb 5th....revision microdiscectomy.
    I'm just glad to have a date to set my eyes on.

Luckily weather here has been around 40 so I've been feeling relatively good compared to how I felt a few weeks ago.
  • ok,all you Feb. spineys--I am officially starting the cheering section
  • Dnice we're on the same day, mines on Feb 5th 2 days after SpineAZ's, I can't say I can't wait. lol Its a fusion on L5-S1, My preop is on Feb 1st and I find out all the particulars. He said Dyneses with cage or something like that but I will know then. I'm still deciding whether to get anterior or thru the back. ;)

Good luck to all. :)
  • I'm scheduled for TLIF with instrumentation and decompression at L5-S1 on Feb. 2nd. I'm nervous but at this point ready to go as my pain has become exruciating most days.
  • Hi, well you are one week before me. I feel the same way, but I also feel like I have a lot to do before then to get the house ready so I will have the things I need when I come home.

Take care,
  • Eric ~

I do not think you will have a choice as to how your surgery is done. The surgeon will make that decision based on a number of factors pertaining to your individual body structure, bone strength, etc.

If you end up having the Dynesys Dynamic Stabilization System, I believe it can only be installed through the back, or sometimes, minimally invasively through the side. They need ready access to the facets to put it in. Obviously I am not a surgeon and I may be wrong about this, but it is my understanding that it cannot go in anteriorly.

I just didn't want you to get your heart set or convince yourself that one entry is much better than another and that you will be unhappy if you do not have it!

Good luck. You still have a bit of time to ready yourself for the big day!

Interestingly the surgeon's office called me today to say the insurance company authorized the surgery. I then called the insurance company to see exactly what they authorized and they said it's a posteriolaeral approach spinal surgery an type "determined upon completion". I then asked about how long of a stay in the hospital was and they said "not yet determined, open to review" so that made me feel good as well. They are leaving it open to later review once they know exactly what he's done.
  • Gwennie:

My doctor gave me a choice. Front or back my pick. He told me. I'm seeing the pre-op on the 1st, he said decide then. He said he could do it either way. :)

We'll see what he says?
  • I am scheduled for Feb 1st.. It was origanlly Jan 1st but i chickened out! Funny thing, I have some friends who are Dr's in Physcial Therapy and they keep sending me info stearing me away for spinal surgery. They really have me on the run about doing this now! I still have that little voice telling me "maybe there is a machine, or stretch that i overlooked"! I know there in no other decision to be made after years of dealing with this. I hate that people try to sway you one way or another!
    Cant wait to get closer with all of ya'll as we go through this together!
  • spineaz, I looked at my insurance website yesterday and it said.
    insert spine fixation device
    insert spine fixation device
    lumbar spine fusion
    spine fusion, extra segment
    removal of vertebral body
    apply spine prosth device
    additional spinal fusion

Estimated Admit Date: 02/01/2010 Actual Discharge Date: N/A Discharge Status: Other/Unknown...

Hmm, looks like my insurance has left discharge date open as well? I think...

• Hang in there Cora!!!please don't let people sway you from your decision----only you can make that----from your story you have been suffering a long time---so keep that in mind---I just want you to get better!
  • Cora,
    I know the feeling about waxing and waneing about surgery. My PT also keep discouraging me from surgery until my last herniation which she could not even touch me for 2 months cuz of the inflammation of the sciatic nerve, and now it is 7 months and I am just able to slightly increase my activity without flaring the nerve. She has now agreed that I should have it done. But I too have seconds thoughts cuz I am walking a little more, but then I look at the mri and say to myself this is not going away and now is a quiet time in my life between kids and grandkids so just GET HER DONE! Lynette
  • Hi, my surgery is Feb. 8th. Surgeon is going to do a fusion with "fixins" L4 downwards. Will have my own bone plus some donated bone. Sorry I am sounding very ignorant but the surgeon I trust and depending on what he finds, he will treat to give me the best outcome.Big gentle Hugs to All - Paula
  • winkie---good luck! and keep us posted!Jeannie
    So today I went for the pre-op appointment with the surgeon's physician's assistant. Of course, as we've seen in others, they founds blip on my EKG that was done weeks ago by my PCP and now are insisting I get cleared by a cardiologist. They got me in on Monday. I took some comfort in that "this is so common we have a cardiology practice we send everyone to" so me (and the guy in the next room who also has surgery soon) both are getting in to see the Cardiologist early next week. At first I was worried but my PCP is soooo good that when he looked at it and was satisfied I feel confident everything will go find on Monday (Cardio).

And, YUCH, I have to get fitted for a LSO brace (hard "turtle" shell type brace). I guess I had some fantasy about not needing that but no such luck.

Hubby and I were going to head to Tucson so see my father in law before my surgery but now I have all these extra appointments so hubby will head down there alone (we try to get down there every 3 months, it's about 2 hr south, to check up on his dad who lives alone).
  • Hi Spine!these ekgs are so nerve-wracking!I didn't have to see a cardio-but the dr.wanted to see previous ones I had had.So of course I thought it would ruin everything,but it didn't.It sounds like you are in pretty good shape mentally!Let us know how the tests go-Jeannie
    I asked them to compare it to my previous ones but the PA said that since this surgery is likely to last 10 hours he wants to take special precautions. That also made me feel better as she said "if this was your first surgery that was going to last a few hours we might just look at previous EKG". At first I started to panic but then 2 minutes later when the PA came out of the room next door and said "one for him as well, his surgery is later in the month", then I knew I wasn't being singled out :-)
  • ok,thats good! so lets talk more and more the closer you get,ok? Jeannie
  • I don't even remember all the pre-op stuff from my first MicroDiscectomy. They did it all the day of and luckily my husband remembers it all. I was actually surprised by how much pre-admit work was going to be done. I am at a different hospital/doctor and I think thinking straight this time.

Last time I was 'urgent' after a trip to the ER. My head was spinning b/c I was hoping I'd miraculously feel better the day before surgery.

It seems like all of us going in are comfortable with our decisions. It doesn't mean there isn't fear or 2nd guessing but at least comfort knowing we took the extra time to research.

I'll be back to confirm on Wednesday after my prework is completed.

Eric - I will be thinking of you on Feb 5th! You'll do well, I'm sure.
  • D-Nice I'm sure yours will go we'll too. I will be thinking of you too. :)
  • Good luck wishes to all you Feb's!

hey and don't forget to take some pictures ;)
  • Well after a 10 hour flight last night I am definitely ready for my surgery on the 3rd Feb, but I'm now starting to get that panicy feeling about the surgery and afterwards.

It's been a rough two weeks. Out of sheer necessity I have been on the go virtually all day and I'm feeling it now, plus I didn't have great internet access so no spiney buddies!!! I have my pre-op appointment later this week, so hopefully that will cover some of the nerves.
  • I bet you are glad that flight is over. Now you just have time to prepare yourself for the surgery.

If your pain has been worse, that may confirm that you need the surgery. Think about the alternative; that may help to put your mind at rest.

I hope that your pre-op later this week goes well and makes you feel ready for this.

Have you bought everything you need and got everything where you will need it?

Take care, I'll wish you luck nearer the day.

• You have been through a rough time!
    I really hope that this surgery puts you into a place where you are free of pain and able to pick up your life again and enjoy it.

How did you come to have all this disc trouble?

We're all rooting for you, and will be following your story closely. We will do all we can to support you up to 17th February and also post surgery while you recover.

Take care.
  • Thank you very much jellyhall.. I am not really sure what is or did cause all the problems in my back.. I was in a 4 wheeler wreck when I was 17. I landed face first on the groud but all of my problems are lower and didn't start until late 2008. So I would think that if it had been from that wreck it would have happened faster then 6 years later.. My first fusion was because my peticles were broken off of my L5 veretbre and the doc said that they looked "old".. He said that they happened when I was young because the break had feeled itslef in with some kind of filler and that would only happen as I was growing.. When I was in 7th grade a had a very big girl run in to me at P.E. and it caused me to hit the gym floor with my lower back so I can only guess that is when the break happened.. I just tell my parents it's bad genes.. Ha ha ha ha..
  • angela,my gosh! I hope this surgery helps your pain--you are so yound to go through this-----please keep us posted,and whatever we can do,we are here for you-Jeannie