Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Myelopathy???

mommatialuvmmommatialuv Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok I just found out today that my official diagnosis sent to LTD is DDD and Myelopathy. So I started trying to research myelopathy, and unless you are a dog, I can only find cervical myelopathy information. My Cervical spine has never been examined let alone imaged. Has anyone heard of myelopathy from the lumbar spine.
As always thanks for your input,
God bless and keep You,

• Here's some info I found regarding Myelopathy:

"Myelopathy is a term that means that there is something wrong with the spinal cord itself. This disease is very different from the radiculopathy that is caused by isolated points of pressure on individual nerve roots. This process does not commonly occur with low back pain because the spinal cord itself ends at about the level of the first and second lumbar vertebral body. From this point on, only nerve roots occupy the spinal canal. However, in certain situations where there is extensive arthritis and stenosis in the upper parts of the lumbar spine, or elsewhere in the cervical and thoracic spine, a patient may develop myelopathy as a result of compression of the spinal cord. This disease is often first detected as difficulty walking due to generalized weakness or problems with balance and coordination."

"Myelopathy is most commonly caused by spinal stenosis, which is a progressive narrowing of the spinal canal. In the later stages of spinal degeneration, bone spurs and arthritic changes make the space available for the spinal cord within the spinal canal much smaller. The bone spurs may begin to press on the spinal cord and the nerve roots, and that pressure starts to interfere with how the nerves function normally."

I hope this is of some help to you and like the info says...Lumbar Myelopathy isn't nearly as common as the Cervical variety (which is one of my issues) so probably the best would be to ask your Doc to explain carefully why and what it is you have going on. Take care -

• I'll talk to my Doc tomorrow when I see him. I have had my thoracic spine imaged and there is DDD throughout, as well as my lumbar issues.
    God Bless and keep you,
  • You're very welcome Shirley and if I were you I'd make sure that you get a DETAILED explanation of the findings, along with a DETAILED plan for what the course of action now is.

I would just let the Doc know that you're at a point right now where you need to start aggressively addressing your issues before bad becomes worse. Not only is that I'm sure how you're feeling...but Doc's actually like to hear that from their patients! :)

Take care -